The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Old 23rd December 2017   #1
WillyBoy

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: WillyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using Prime on Axolotl larvae

While I have kept Axolotl on and off for years, I have only recently tried breeding. After successfully hatching about 200 albino larvae and feeding them successfully for a few days I did a water change. I matched the temp (64F), pH and kH, did the water change and added Seachem Prime according to directions. Within a few minutes some of the larvae began to spin rather than swim and a few hours later, in spite of changing out more water, without Prime, all of them had died. It looked as though their skin was burned and slime came off. Anyone else have this happen?

WillyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2017   #2
Blackbun

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Using Prime on Axolotl larvae

Willyboy what a tragedy. I was very sorry to hear your news. When I read the bit about the slime, I immediately thought of alkali pH. High pH will cause excess mucus secretion and skin damage. Itís rapid. Itís just a thought.
I did a web search on this product which seems to be pretty impressive in what it claims etc. In my mind, leaving tap water to become stale is the best way but if in a hurry these decolorinators are useful.
Did you stick to the 5ml to 200l doseage?

If you do overdose there can be issues re raising pH.
Have a look at this chapís research.

https://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...-prime.253253/

You must be bitterly disappointed. Learn from your experience.
Best regards

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2017   #3
WillyBoy

Nationality:
Rep: WillyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Aloha Blackbun and thank you for your reply. My pH is about 7.2 and my adults have never had a problem with it, nor have the 2" (5cm) grow outs I buy. though I did not check the pH after the incident in question, I find it hard to believe that the recommended dosage I used could radically affect the pH of the container I use for raising larvae. I have used Prime with Cichlid larvae and adult Axolotls with great success for years. Normally, I would chalk it up to some mistake on my part but, the fact that another very experienced breeder in Hawaii has has an identical result using the same product tends to tell me this product is simply not safe foe salamander larvae. From now on I will not be using it with larvae.
I have written to Seachem Labs but, to date, I have had no response. I'll keep you posted.

WillyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017   #4
Gizmo And Gang!
(Hellcat73)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Rep: Hellcat73 has shown reliable knowledge

I use Prime on all my axolotl larvae! No issues....I use a baby eyedropper...0.50ml per 5 gallon bucket of tap water....never a issue...i know I killed off some first time I raised some but I think i had chemicls on my hands or I forgot to add Prime to my tap water....

Hellcat73 is offline   Reply With Quote