Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Not eating and lethargic

Shinsei

Reaction score
Hi all,

Our axie Luna, hasn’t eaten for six days and during that time has been lethargic to say the least. However, during that time she has pooped about four times. The tank water tests out OK. The temperature has been higher than I would like at 70F (21.1C) - 71F (21.6C). We have tried her on bloodworm and pellets. On one occasion, she took a pellet, then after a few seconds regurgitated it. During this time she hasn’t moved at all, apart from finding cavities between the rocks in which to hide. Then she just stays motionless for hours and hours. I have removed all the décor, rocks and etc. down to a bare tank with just one simple hide so that I can keep a better eye on her. She has taken herself off into the hide and I haven’t seen her since. Every day I put in food and later remove it uneaten. I am reluctant to keep moving the hide to see how she is, I am concerned this might stress her. Trouble is it isn’t doing my stress levels any good! It is a 20 gallon tank with a Betta canister filter, I have a spray bar that ejects the water onto the back of the tank marginally above water level as this seems to provide the least movement in the water. I have turned the lime wood air stone off. Have been changing 25% of the water every week, this week it was closer to 50%. I have been putting in Easy Life filter medium on recommendation, but feel I want to abandon this practise, as I feel uneasy about it. Not sure where to go from here. Will this become a fridge job?

Best wishes all, have a super Christmas

Biev

Reaction score
Can you list the actual water parameters? Is she alone in her tank?

Shinsei

Reaction score
Hi Biev,

Thanks for responding Biev, you are my saviour :) Your question reminded me, not for the first time that I am a total dunce when it comes to water parameters. I have been using a Tetra 6 in 1 test kit since setting the tank up. I had the understanding that this was a complete testing kit. I have found this kit to be difficult to use because sometimes the results are questionable. When I tested the water yesterday it seemed to be fine.

But your question fired me up to take a trip to the local aquatics shop with a sample of tank water. The results didn't surprise me, they distressed me, for I realised that I had been negligent. pH: 7.5. GH: 13.0. KH: 10.0. NH4/NH3: 1.0 mg/l. NO2: 5.0 mg/l. NO3: 50.0 mg/l. Yet the strips seem to be showing acceptable levels. The shop said do a 50% water change. Then add 1 teaspoonful of Aquasafe per 10 lts water; 2 caps of bio Nitrivec and and 2 caps of Toxivec; a capful of Filter biostart and finally 2.25 caps of NitrateMinus. Then review in a week's time.

How does that sound? Oh, and I noticed that axie only has five gills! I swear she had six a couple of days ago... ?

Best wishes, have a wonderful Christmas :) xxx

Oh, PS. She is alone.

Last edited:

Wooperlotl

Reaction score
Hey Shinsei!

Belated Merry Christmas and how's your axi doing?
Mine has been behaving the same way and I'm wondering if I should get an API master test kit and check all parameters.

Cheers,

Maggie

Shinsei

Reaction score
Hi Wooperlotl,

Thank you and Christmas greetings to you too (I insist that Christmas doesn't finish until the evening of 5th January).

Well I'm still not out of the woods yet. I followed the instructions given to me by the aquarium centre and axol did perk up for a bit, but then went back to being very lethargic and still not eating. However she has taken one pellet and kept it down. I am having a second water test done on Monday (a week after the first).

A friend who was an aquarist for many years used the API master test kit. His opinion is that he found it was still difficult to tell certain numbers and colours apart and get a good reading. For the cost of about £1 he went to his aquarium centre every week to have his water tested. That's what I am going to do until such time as I fully understand the process. I didn't get charged for my test but then I did purchase all the treatments that I needed. I will be interested to see if I get charged on my next visit which will be for the water test alone.

The API master test kit does have good reviews though.

Best wishes

Shinsei

Reaction score
Hi all, To my knowledge my axolotl has eaten only two Hikari carnivore pellets since 18th December. She is now very thin and won't take food at all. She does nothing but lie motionless more or less 24/7. The water parameters are pH 7.5 / GH 14.0 / KH 11.0 / NH4/NH3 0.0 / NO2 0.0 / NO3 0.0. Temperature 69F. I have tried blood worms, Hikari carnivore pellets and regular earthworms chopped into very small pieces. I am at loss now to know what to do. If I can't get her to eat this evening I am going to try fridging her in the absence of any other option. I am most concerned for her, I am thinking it is only a matter of time now before she goes.

Wooperlotl

Reaction score
Hey! :happy:

I am so sorry to hear your axi hasn't perked up.
Are the bits of earthworms you are feeding still moving? I found that the wriggling of the worm triggered a hunting response from my little guy who was previously refusing most food I gave to him, (blood worm and mushed fish cubes and dead feeder fish).
Unfortunately her condition may be past trying this... but I hear rubbing the food in a little bit of garlic can trigger a far better eating response.
Have you noticed any other symptoms besides listlessness and a bad appetite? Curled tail or gills? Any unusual spots on her body?

She could have some sort of digestive problem or impaction. You might have already mentioned it but what sort of substrate do you have again? It might be best to move this to the sick axolotl threads, post some reference pictures, and see if anyone has had similar symptoms in their axolotls.

Best of luck and keep us all updated. I'm rooting for your lovely lotl! :happy:

axotol lover

Reaction score
Hi all,

Our axie Luna, hasn’t eaten for six days and during that time has been lethargic to say the least. However, during that time she has pooped about four times. The tank water tests out OK. The temperature has been higher than I would like at 70F (21.1C) - 71F (21.6C). We have tried her on bloodworm and pellets. On one occasion, she took a pellet, then after a few seconds regurgitated it. During this time she hasn’t moved at all, apart from finding cavities between the rocks in which to hide. Then she just stays motionless for hours and hours. I have removed all the décor, rocks and etc. down to a bare tank with just one simple hide so that I can keep a better eye on her. She has taken herself off into the hide and I haven’t seen her since. Every day I put in food and later remove it uneaten. I am reluctant to keep moving the hide to see how she is, I am concerned this might stress her. Trouble is it isn’t doing my stress levels any good! It is a 20 gallon tank with a Betta canister filter, I have a spray bar that ejects the water onto the back of the tank marginally above water level as this seems to provide the least movement in the water. I have turned the lime wood air stone off. Have been changing 25% of the water every week, this week it was closer to 50%. I have been putting in Easy Life filter medium on recommendation, but feel I want to abandon this practise, as I feel uneasy about it. Not sure where to go from here. Will this become a fridge job?

Best wishes all, have a super Christmas
i think your axolotl may be morphing and yes axolotls usually have six gills at least mine does impaction stress could also cause but morphing can be caused by stress

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1