The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 27th December 2017   #1
Wyvell

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Wyvell has shown reliable knowledge
Default Larval Tiger Wont Eat

Hello everyone,
I have a larval Tiger salamander that has stopped eating. He keeps gulping air and floating as well. For a while he was eating a diet of bloodworms, earthworms and wax worms. He slowly stopped eating them one by one and now I cant get him to eat at all.

Water parameters are all great and I check almost daily. The water temp was a bit low for a while so we recently warmed it up to around 66 degrees F. The filter in the tank is a sponge filter to cut down on water movement and we do regular water changes.

We had been salt bathing him because he had developed a small fungus on a gill but it has since gone away. Should I start salt baths again? Do I need to Fridge him?

I am just worried about him because we got him when he was already in rough shape and he is still really skinny. We have had him around 3 months but he has not grown at all. His color seems to have gotten much lighter as well.

Wyvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2017   #2
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Larval Tiger Wont Eat

Try salmon pellets.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017   #3
Wyvell

Nationality:

I had tried giving him the Newt and Salamander sinking pellets from Omega One but it seemed like he couldnt find them. it does not seem that he is very bright..

Old 29th December 2017   #4
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

John had success feeding his c.b. tiger salamanders soft moist salmon pellets.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017   #5
RG

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 1
Rep: RG has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Try salmon pellets.
There is a lot of poison in salmon pallets. Probably in all pallets. Origin of ingredients does not have to be mentioned in animal feed. Take a look at this documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYYf8cLUV5E

RG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017   #6
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

The fungal infection coupled with the loss of appetite would make me think there was a problem with water quality, are you certain that ammonia and nitrite levels are zero?
Other than that, I'd say he could be morphing, how big is he?

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018   #7
Wyvell

Nationality:

He is about 4 inches long. I have lowered the water to about 4 inches. He has a piece of wood and a rock that are a bit out of the water now to get out on. He was already Ill when we got him, he had been doing well but has since stopped eating. It has almost been 3 weeks now since he ate.

Old 8th January 2018   #8
Wyvell

Nationality:

Well, after about three weeks of not eating our tiger salamander has passed away. I tried everything I could find to help him but he just wouldn't eat. We discovered him the other morning after not seeing him for a day or so we picked up the top rock of his favorite hide to discover him upside down.

I really do think this is because of the condition we got him in and there was not a lot we could do.