The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 2nd January 2018   #1
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Yocelynn1312 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Small amounts of salt in axolotl tank?

I recently went to a reptile show, and while I was there, I saw an axolotl breeder. I asked him some questions about keeping the axolotls healthy, and he mentioned putting one teaspoon of sea salt per 10gal of water to help keep bacteria, and infection at bay, any thoughts? Is this something I should do?

Yocelynn1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018   #2
Gizmo And Gang!
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 0
Rep: Hellcat73 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Small amounts of salt in axolotl tank?

I do! only in my treated water im adding to tank though...theres alot of controversy with it..but where I live I see no harm in low doses..and it does help with gill function and electrolight..wish i could explain it better,but I noticed mine dont get the cotton fungus as easy.and I used to use 1tblsp per 5 gal but since scaled back to 1tsp per 5 gal...guess it all depends on your water...etc....i think if you read the pros and cons,you can decide if its safe or not...but not simply going by a YES or for a informed decision...I choose to use the aq salt. but you may not.

Hellcat73 is offline   Reply With Quote

bacteria, health, salt, tank