The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 3rd January 2018   #1
Mouse Mason
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Mouse Mason is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl with pink "fuzzy" cloaca

Recently (last week or so), I've been trying to reintroduce my two axoltls to each other (they are now both about a year and a half old, and have been separated for almost their entire lives by a see-through divider in the tank, as they used to attack each other, and injure each other quite badly).

When I take the divider away, it's always fine for half an hour or so, until they realy notice each other, and then one of my axolotls (Skipper) starts attacking the other one (Charlie). It's always this was around, and he always goes straight for Charlie's cloaca, not biting it, just sort of "nosing" it, but in a forceful way that makes Charlie try and get away from him.
What's really worrying though, is when he goes for Charlie his cloaca sort of "opens up" and is white and fuzzy, and gradually turns pink. Also, today, before I could separate them, some white fuzzy stuff came out of the cloaca (you can sort of see it in the third picture). However, when I have separated them, the cloaca closes up and looks perfectly normal! Both are eating fine, and passing stool normally.

Sorry the photos are so blurry, they where moving quickly at the time, and I was trying to keep them apart with one hand!
1st picture shows the normal cloaca after it has closed up
2nd shows pink fuzzy cloaca
3rd shows "white stuff" coming out of cloaca
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180103_162301.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	525.5 KB
ID:	52335   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180103_162016.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	52336   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180103_162032.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	52337  

Mouse Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018   #2
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Axolotl with pink "fuzzy" cloaca

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but it could just be shedding?

Please become acquainted with the forum rules.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote