The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 7th January 2018   #1
paniexotics

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: paniexotics is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Baby Axolotls

So I had gotten 2 baby axolotls from a Repticon in my area recently, they're about an inch or so long, they both have their front and back legs developed and are 2 months old. The seller told me I can feed them frozen blood worms or brine shrimp at their age.
I'm not sure how to house them as they're so tiny and I had expected to find bigger ones for the 55 gal aquarium I had set up. I assumed the space would be too big for them at their size and put them in a cycled 10 gal I had running with some hides.
I was wondering if I could just block off half of the 55 gal and keep them both in there so they have more space to themselves (also so the water require less changes).
Any tips and tricks to keeping baby/juvenile axolotls would be great, thanks!

paniexotics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018   #2
JoshuaD

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: JoshuaD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baby Axolotls

Hi paniexotics,
I have not personally raised axolotls in a tank that large, but I do have some thoughts. A 55 gallon would certainly provide more stable water parameters, which is always reassuring with young axies. Additionally, it would eliminate the need to move the axolotls to a new home later on, which is a nice stress reliever. The only immediate disadvantage that I can think of with such a spacious tank would be the extra energy expense involved in finding food, but since you have are sectioning it off anyway that shouldn't be a problem, especially if you target feed them individually. I can't imagine the slight addition of water pressure would lead to anything undesirable either and with how much axies move, I doubt they would have trouble reaching the water's surface if they so desired. Just make sure any divider you use is nice and tot so they do not try to wiggle between it and the glass and get caught or cut.

If I may ask, what type of filtration method are you planning on using?

JoshuaD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotls, baby, juvenile, size, tank