The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) The first salamanders described, this diverse genus of species and subspecies can be found throughout Europe and the Near-East. They are the animals that first come to mind when most people hear the word "salamander".

Old 9th January 2018   #1
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Salamandra / Fire Salamander metamorphosis setup

So here is the setup I use for metamorphosing fire salamanders. The first time I raised fire salamander larvae was in 2001 and I lost the first to drowning. Since then I've been careful to check large larvae every day and transfer them to a setup like this when their gills have greatly diminished (but not disappeared).

The setup consists of a food container, purchased in bulk from Costco, with dechlorinated tap water that just covers the salamanders, and then a large gravel area they can haul out on. The black colour of the container adds security. Once they have spent at least 24 hours on the gravel I transfer them to a moist paper towel setup and after a few more days they go in their grow-out setup.

The lid (not pictured) has 2-3 holes punched in it, which provides minimal ventilation so that the humidity level remains high while their skin is still changing into the tougher adult type.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Salamandra ss metamorphosis chamber 1-8-2018-.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	52361