The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Old 10th January 2018   #1
Bunny1994
(Bunny1994)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Bunny1994 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Best food for daphnia?

So my axies recently laid eggs so I've bought some daphnia to try & start my own culture. So far I've been feeding them dried active yeast & I was wondering if that was alright as a staple for them?

Bunny1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018   #2
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Best food for daphnia?

Here is an article that can be found on Caudata Culture Home Page

Caudata Culture Articles - Microfoods

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018   #3
Caleb Leeke
(caleb)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

There are some recipes for Daphnia food on this thread:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...in-powder.html

I usually use a mixture of gram flour, spirulina and dried yeast.

Some people swear by milk as a Daphnia food- it is very convenient, but you have to be really careful not to add too much.

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018   #4
Bunny1994
(Bunny1994)

Nationality:
Rep: Bunny1994 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Best food for daphnia?

Thanks both of you I'll definitely be having a look. I'd have never thought to use milk! Might give that one a try!

Bunny1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018   #5
MnGuy

Nationality:
Rep: MnGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

I cultured daphnia indoors for awhile using yeast and spirulina powder. It was a little more work than I wanted to invest.

I put the 5 gallon bucket of daphnia outside and it has thrived for 3-4 years with no care from me. They feed on algae that grows inside along with plant debris that fall in. I live in the Midwest of the USA, so I don't get to use them in the winter when the bucket freezes, but they are plentiful come spring and summer. I don't know how they survive the bucket freezing. I live in Minnesota, which can get as cold as the arctic on occasion!

I would highly recommend starting an outdoor culture if you have the space (don't need much), and can set out a bucket without causing any safety risks to children and pets.

Good luck.

MnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote