The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

FS: United Kingdom (just UK) This section exists due to the large number of UK Caudata.org users. Please only advertise in this section if you will not send animals within the European Union. Otherwise please use the EU section.

Old 10th January 2018   #1
Donia
(donia)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: donia has shown reliable knowledgedonia has shown reliable knowledge
Default Ribbed newts Pleurodeles waltl looking for retirement home

Hello, it is with sadness I'm having to rehome my ribbed newts, and I'm only doing this as I'm leaving the country indefinitely. I've had these for years now and in fact they were the reason I joined this forum!

Anyway, info on them as follows:

CB: highly likely - they are a non UK native species, but I got these from a rescue centre, so don't know their full history
Number of animals: 4 - 3 males 1 female, likely to all be related - they have bred in the past, but I have always disposed of the eggs, since they are related
Age: approximately 9 years old - I've had these for 8 years, and they were adults when I got them from a rescue centre.

The female does still lay eggs, but most are not viable and she doesn't lay them very often anymore, so if you are looking for breeders these are not for you. Plus they are highly likely to be siblings/parents.

At the moment they are in a 3 foot tank (I downgraded when I moved into a tiny flat), which seems fine for them as there's a lot of hiding places - if you take the newts you can take the tank and all the bits it too. There is an internal filter, which goes against all I read up on them years ago, but which they actively surf in, so they seem to like it.

I feed these guys mostly on worms from the garden, a few mealworms, and some of the frozen bloodworm cube things - anything that moves in front of their face they will try to eat, including each other and my fingers, so they are healthy, greedy little newts.

I could go on about these forever, so will stop here. If you are seriously interested get in contact - I live in Salisbury, Wiltshire, but would be happy to deliver them within a 10 mile radius if you don't have your own transport.

I'd like to get 30 at least for these, which will go to my local dogs home who have quite a few long term residents who deserve treats for the new year. Any questions don't hesitate to ask!

donia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newts, pleurodeles, ribbed, waltl