The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 11th January 2018   #1
Herpin Man

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Herpin Man has shown reliable knowledgeHerpin Man has shown reliable knowledge
Default Dull skin on Marbled newt

I have noticed a change in the skin color and texture of one of my Marbled newts. It is considerably duller than normal, and the texture seems to have changed. In addition, this newt appears more lethargic than usual, and sometimes lies out in the open for hours at a time. At first I thought the lack of activity may be tied to the cold weather, but the other newts don't seem to be affected.
They are kept in a densely planted terrarium. I have had them about five months. Current temps are low to mid fifties. With the cold weather, they are less active than usual, but otherwise appear to be feeding and healthy.
I read that they can get nitrate poisoning from substrate if it is not changed, and that can present as dull skin. Could that be what this newt has, after only five months? Or are there other possible causes?
The afflicted newt is now quarantined, I'm waiting to see if it clears up.
Thoughts are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marmoratus.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	52389  

Herpin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018   #2
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Dull skin on Marbled newt

That young of a newt probably would not put off enough waste to poison the substrate. You can use bioactive substrate (springtails and dwarf isopods) to help keep the substrate clean.

What foods are you offering the salamander.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018   #3
Herpin Man

Nationality:
Rep: Herpin Man has shown reliable knowledgeHerpin Man has shown reliable knowledge

They're eating crickets, chopped earthworms (euro. crawlers) and tiny dubia.
I do have springtails in there also.
They have grown considerably in the time that I've had them.

Old 13th January 2018   #4
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Maybe he is getting ready to shed?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018   #5
Herpin Man

Nationality:

Maybe- but it's been like this a couple of weeks. I'll keep it isolated for a while, maybe the condition will clear up.