The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 16th January 2018   #1
jitterbug

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jitterbug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting marbled salamander to eat

Hi all, I received my Ambystoma Opacum last Wednesday, and she hasn't been interested in eating at all.

I tried bloodworms to start off with (my mistake), then mealworms and Superworms with repti calcium by tweezer (i crushed their heads so they wouldn't bite). Around 3 days ago, I left a half dead mealworm in her vivarium, and she might've eaten it? I'm not for sure though.

Besides that, when I feed her with tweezers, she just turns her head away and proceeds to bury herself in the ground. I can't find earthworms being sold at any local petstores, and I'm going to try wax worms soon.

Are there any tips to help salamanders start eating? She seems to have 0 interest in food at all from what I can tell.

jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Getting marbled salamander to eat

I think there is an article somewhere on getting newts/sals to eat. Look at the care articles in my sig or do a search on the forum.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018   #3
Herpin Man

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Herpin Man has given good advice and informationHerpin Man has given good advice and information
Default Re: Getting marbled salamander to eat

Many salamanders won't eat from tweezers, or even when people are watching them. In addition, mealworms and superworms aren't the best food choices.
My suggestion is to try small earthworms and crickets first. Just drop them in and let the salamander hunt. Avoid red wigglers, though; they exude a foul substance that many salamanders find distasteful. Some even believe it's toxic.
Other than that, keep the environment cool, moist, and give it lots of hiding places.

Herpin Man is offline   Reply With Quote