The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 24th January 2018   #1
TaylorAllison90

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TaylorAllison90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Help! Do my axies have vitiligo??

Hello all! I'm new here, and am very excited to share my axolotls with you!(: I got my two boys (I think) from a local breeder and have fallen completely in LOVE with them! They are such a fun creature to keep, and it's been so fun to watch their personalities blossom!
Both Aegon (GFP wild-type) and Aryes (wild-type) are kept in a 40gallon breeder (see picture) and are happy little guys (: During my time watching them grow (I got them at about 4-5inches long, and they are now close to 8inches) I have noticed some strange colors that I wasn't expecting! I have spoken with their breeder, and she seems to think that they have vitiligo, as a majority of their clutch have the same coloring, but I just was searching for a second opinion! The "white" that is creeping from their bellies to their spine is not albino... as I can see their spots in the correct lighting. Anyone know what could be going on?? Thank you so much (:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180123_161521.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	706.0 KB
ID:	52468   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180121_170216.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	52469   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180120_213825.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	564.5 KB
ID:	52470  

TaylorAllison90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018   #2
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Help! Do my axies have vitiligo??

I think vitiligo is a bit of a stretch. Their is a lot of variation in wild type. I'd call it normal coloration.

michael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018   #3
LittleLotti
(LittleLotti)

Nationality:
Rep: LittleLotti is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Help! Do my axies have vitiligo??

Heya no experience with health problems I've had my oldest girl for 10 years now and so far she's seemed healthy. Your axolotls gills look good that would be the fist sign of ill health in my opinion but I'm not an expert. Axolotls colours do vary a lot in wild types and become more defined as they age. Hope they're okay though 😚

LittleLotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2018   #4
TaylorAllison90

Nationality:
Rep: TaylorAllison90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help! Do my axies have vitiligo??

Thank you both for your insight! I tend to be a "helicopter parent" when it comes to my animals, so it's nice to know that they look good! They get black tea baths once a week for their "Spa Day" and are very spoiled

TaylorAllison90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, axolotl advice