The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 24th January 2018   #1
Maxinger

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Maxinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tylototriton verrucosus changed behavior lately

Hi,
I have a maybe very trivial or unnecessary question:
I'm keeping a group of 1 year old tylos in a well established 200l tank and had no issues so far. For the most part of the last year, all 4 were very active, always begging for food and really really good eaters. However, in the last 2-3 months their behavior changed pretty drastically. They aren't as active and eat a lot less, sometimes nothing at all. I went from feeding them every 2-3 days to now only once a week. They also sit in dry places more often than they used to.
Is that a normal behavior for those animals during the winter (temperatures went down from ~24C to ~17C)? I know that they are supposed to be a little less active but I never experienced such a massive change before.
I'm pretty sure I'm overreacting, it would just be great to get someone elses opinion on that...

Thanks in advance!

Maxinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Tylototriton verrucosus changed behavior lately

Mine are less active and hungry when it's cold.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote