Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: New filter

jnalexander8

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon tank and 2 axolotls, and I want to buy a canister filter for them because of their better ability to filter the water. What is the best canister filter that I can get for under $125?

Blackbun

Reaction score
Hello, I use external filters and wouldn’t be without them. Currently Fluval and Eheim. They might be slightly above your budget but give it a consideration. They come in a number of sizes. Very easy maintenance. In side the units there are three sub sections (the larger ones have four) one I fill with fibre to catch large particulate matter and the other two are set up for the bacteria to work their wonders on the nitrogenous wastes. I even go one step further and put the water through a uv unit too which serves to kill off any microbes in the water. It can all add up price wise but I’ve got a fantastic collection of axolotls which I’ve buikt up and to replace them all wound cost a lot more than these filters. Have a read on the tropical fresh water fish forums. Good luck.

jnalexander8

Reaction score
By any chance do you know the name of your filters and equipment? I just want to check them out

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1