I am new and don’t know where to post this.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a friend in the UK that found her axolotl floating on his side yesterday. She has tested her water and everything is coming back good. She has him eating pinkies quite regularly except for recently has he has stopped eating. I have advised her to stop feeding pinkies as a staple as it can cause Vitamin A poisoning. She tubbed him in black tea yesterday and fridges him as when I saw pictures he looked to have ammonia burns even though her parameters are perfect. He is 8 yrs old. She has taken him out of the fridge to let him warm up and try to feed him. Can anyone give some advice on what this could be? He doesn’t look good she couldn’t even completely cover him because he just kept floating and she is sooo worried. Pictures of him are uploaded.

Attachments

• 989A5759-82EF-4AEC-B21F-61C500E54DCE.jpeg
    989A5759-82EF-4AEC-B21F-61C500E54DCE.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 161
  • FA334D54-5A48-467B-83B8-1B6AD83027F3.jpeg
    FA334D54-5A48-467B-83B8-1B6AD83027F3.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 170
He looks very bad off. If he is still with us, I think he needs to see a vet.
In my experience, when their limbs start to curl in, they are not coming back.
I am sorry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back