The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 28th January 2018   #1
Aztecl
(JealousVixy)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: JealousVixy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very sick and very quick: HELP

Hi Everyone! I am a new member from so long ago, and while I havn't been keeping up to date with posting and my profile as life has been hectic, without hesitation you are my first call when I am absolutely at a loss of what to do for my aqua babies. And this is certainly one of those times. My youngest axolotl Viserys was doing fine, eating well (though hes still quite skinny as I have been trying to bulk him up since I've got him) but just today he has come up with aweful red marks around these white fluffy bits, his gills are red and inflames and hes generally red all over. He's still responsive and begs for food but wont snap at it. I have already done a 50% water change, and am just wondering what my next course of action is. We are struggling with the heat here at the moment, so that's surely stressing him, but the other 2 axys aren't affected at all. I tested the water only yesterday and the only thing out of ordinary was a higher amount of nitrate than normal, which has gone down with the water change, otherwise everything good. Should I isolate him? I have only a tiny 15L tank but with only an uncycled filter? The heat would probably be worse in the smaller tank too. Or should I fridge him or salt bath him? Sorry for the long post, I am just extremely concerned.

JealousVixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018   #2
Aztecl
(JealousVixy)

Nationality:
Rep: JealousVixy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Very sick and very quick: HELP

Here are some pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	27398742_2169951736352011_519041074_o.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	52496

Name:	27479632_2169951779685340_1689136407_o.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	52497

Name:	27479966_2169951796352005_1122137859_o.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	52498

JealousVixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018   #3
DSaxolotl

Nationality:
Rep: DSaxolotl has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Very sick and very quick: HELP

Hello,

That axolotl does not look good at all! Skin patches, possible bulging of the eyes? cant really tell from the pic angle and missing bits of the tail.

However if that was mine I would separate and quarantine it asap!

1.What are you water parameters and temperatures?
PH:
Ammonia:
Nitrites:
Nitrates:
Temperature:

I would also look into possible broad spectrum treatment that will address bacterial/fungal issues because that skin condition does not looks good at all, especially if its happening and progressing fast in day or two.

15L is not a ideal but it would work as short term QT tank, even if its not cycled you can seed it with part if your existing cycled tank. If you resort to meds you will probably nuke the beneficial bacteria in it regardless. I myself have a axie in QT right now and doing ~70% water changes on a daily basis to keep up with the water quality.

Do daily water changes with de-chlorinated water (API Prime) does wonders and also helps short term with ammonia spikes.

Last edited by DSaxolotl; 30th January 2018 at 18:49.
DSaxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axololt, help axie, sickness