The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 29th January 2018   #1
Aesyir

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Aesyir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you make a bare bottom tank look good?

Hello i'm wondering if you guys know any tricks to make bottomless tanks look better. I was going to use sand at one point but I still don't think that's a great idea. when I used to keep bearded dragons I was always told sand would scratch up their internals so I would think this would be the same for my newts. This might be crazy but would it be possible to just put one of those 3d aquarium backgrounds and put it on the bottom? This tank will just have elodia so no need to hoist the plants down. I'm willing to take any other ideas thank you for your time!

Aesyir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2018   #2
Aesyir

Nationality:
Default Re: How do you make a bare bottom tank look good?

No one?

Old 3rd February 2018   #3
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Most people that don't want to see a bare bottomed tank use sand without any ill effects to their salamanders, but you can also use large slate or ceramic tiles glued to the bottom with silicone sealer to prevent dirt build up underneath. I guess you could do the same with an aquarium background if you wanted.
Another substrate I like the look of is dead leaves, I collect beech and oak leaves in the autumn and dry them out completely, then I just drop them in my tanks when needed. They look natural and my newts spend hours prowling around underneath them looking for things to eat!

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2018   #4
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I was just going to say the same thing; decorative tiles on the bottom of the tank. OR, you can get a nice picture and tape it to the underside (dry side) of the tank, the way people do with the back of tanks.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2018   #5
Jensino

Nationality:
Rep: Jensino has shown reliable knowledge

I have seen goldfish keepers in japan that let algae grow on the bare bottoms. It looks very natural and the algae growth reduces water pollution. To do so, i have been told, that they put their aquariums into direct sunlight on a balcony or into the garden and fill it with half an inch of pond-water. A few weeks later the glass is covered with different types of algae.
I really have to try this method next summer, cause it looks so great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJCN4PDyXkY
Obviously not a goldfish-tank, but a good impression, what an algae-carpet looks like.

Jensino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018   #6
Aesyir

Nationality:

That's algae?! It looks like moss, that's a super cool idea I might try this. The only issue is I don't feel comfortable using water from local bodies of water... to make maters worse my area is notorious for having poor water quality in local bodies of water.

Old 6th February 2018   #7
MnGuy

Nationality:
Rep: MnGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

I use sand with my newts and have had no issues.

I also like the use and look of leaf matter. I always throw in a few leaves. I'd love to use a whole bunch, but I have short ground covering aquatic plants that can get smothered by leaves. Good luck.

MnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018   #8
Jensino

Nationality:
Rep: Jensino has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy View Post
I use sand with my newts and have had no issues.
Most european keepers (me included) use a thin layer of sand as well with no problems at all. Leaves are also a great material, because newts like to hide under them and most leaves tend to acidify the water, which reduces the germ load and has an antibacterial effect. But I don't like that the tannins color the water brown, but that's just a personal preference. Can someone recommend leaves that do not dye the water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesyir View Post
That's algae?! It looks like moss, that's a super cool idea I might try this. The only issue is I don't feel comfortable using water from local bodies of water... to make maters worse my area is notorious for having poor water quality in local bodies of water.
You only use the pond water for the initial starting process, later on you can use high quality water as usual.
I want to share a few additional pictures of algae carpets in goldfish aquariums:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum resized.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	52560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Algae carpet and goldfish.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	52561  

Jensino is offline   Reply With Quote