The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 30th January 2018   #1
Klub708

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Klub708 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl Fungus Help?

I have a young axolotl in a 20 gallon with a possible fungus. Yesterday his gills were fine and now he has a small white cotton ballish clump on one gill and I am very concerned please help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7789841-7EEF-48FF-99F5-B26055E73E67.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	52529   Click image for larger version

Name:	83634F07-CB54-44AA-8562-1FA34E648DAC.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	52530  

Klub708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018   #2
MuGuiKeu

Nationality:
Rep: MuGuiKeu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl Fungus Help?

Hi there! The best treatment for fungus is a salt bath. Please make sure that the salt you use is a non-iodized salt, it's very important! Use another tank and add salt to it, then put your sick axolotl in it. Change the water each day and add salt after water changed. Fungus disappears after 24-48h if it is treated on time (it took 3 days in my case). I think there's a tutorial on how to do a salt bath somewhere... Good luck

MuGuiKeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018   #3
Klub708

Nationality:
Rep: Klub708 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuGuiKeu View Post
Hi there! The best treatment for fungus is a salt bath. Please make sure that the salt you use is a non-iodized salt, it's very important! Use another tank and add salt to it, then put your sick axolotl in it. Change the water each day and add salt after water changed. Fungus disappears after 24-48h if it is treated on time (it took 3 days in my case). I think there's a tutorial on how to do a salt bath somewhere... Good luck
Is there something it could be besides a fungus. I would hate to put him through the stress of a salt bath if it wasnt necessary

Klub708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018   #4
MuGuiKeu

Nationality:

It is a fungus The salt bath is the only solution. Their skin has no scales, so you can not use fish treatment.

Change the water every day, twice a day if you can. Try to keep the water temperature as low as possible. After 24-48h, the fungus should be gone. As it can spread in your main aquarium, keep your axolotl in another separate tank for at least 1 week after the fungus is gone to be certain :)

Also, if I remember correctly, the fungus can appear as a result of an injury (such as a bite by another axolotl) or because of the too high temperature of the water. The ideal temperature is 18 degrees, but it should NOT exceed 24, otherwise there is a risk of illness such as fungus and the axolotl will be very stressed.

When I did a salt bath to my axolotl, he did not seem stressed and he ate properly. In any case, the salt bath is your only option. A neat fungus quickly can disappear very easily! And remember to use non iodized salt for aquarium :)

Old 31st January 2018   #5
MuGuiKeu

Nationality:

Here's a photi of my baby when is has a fungus (I rescued him like this from a petshop known for bad treatments). Now he's the happiest axolotl :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171205_061719.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	52531  

Old 31st January 2018   #6
RG

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 1
Rep: RG has shown reliable knowledge

Maybe it is a piece of faeces that has stuck in the gill. That will rot and make the gill sick.
If this is the problem, the best thing you can do is pull it out with tweezers. It may happen that you take a small piece of gill off with it, but that will grow back again. Good filtering can prevent this type of problem. Check the sand bottom for floating pieces of faeces.
Good luck .

RG is offline   Reply With Quote