The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 31st January 2018   #1
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: korimizu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not sure if axolotl is constipated. Help

Hey, I have about a five inch juvenile. Iíve had him since around October of last year. Heís a pretty lithe axolotl, and I was surprised when today his stomach looked far larger than usual. For the last week Iíve noticed his cloaca has become slightly swollen (not red, just larger). Not sure if this is just him being male (which I am not even sure of) because heís still a juvenile. Usually his stomach is just a little farther out than his ďchinĒ, if that makes any sense, but now itís a lot farther out. Heís been on a diet of a single small red wriggler per day - I know some say that axolotls donít like the taste but heís always eager to eat them. His stomach is still the width of his head, but itís just larger as far as how low it goes. Iím hoping that makes some sort of sense. Iíve also not seen his poop in a while, but I believe he has a tendency to trample his turds, not to mention some of the worms I feed him still have tiny bits of soil stuck to them and they make it hard to tell if he actually pooped and trampled it or if Iím just cleaning up all the dirt from the worms. Iíve never fridged an axolotl before so if thatís something I need to do I would appreciate advice on how I should go about it. Thanks

korimizu is offline   Reply With Quote