The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 1st February 2018   #1
Tasman

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Tasman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Real plants vs Fake

I was wondering what people think is best for their axie. Real plants or fake? I am finding becasue of low light my real plants aren't doing so well but not sure if they are better for the axie and the tank as a whole or should I switch to fake ones? TIA

Tasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Real plants vs Fake

I don't have axies, but other newts, and I use a lot of silk plants because the light doesn't let plants grow well. THey lay eggs on them and everything so I think they work fine.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018   #3
AquaGirl

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: AquaGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Real plants vs Fake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasman View Post
I was wondering what people think is best for their axie. Real plants or fake? I am finding becasue of low light my real plants aren't doing so well but not sure if they are better for the axie and the tank as a whole or should I switch to fake ones? TIA
There are lots of great low light plants out there. Anubias is one of my favorites along with Java Fern and Vallisneria. I have my tank set up with low lights and are on no more than 7 hours a day for the sake of my axolotl. I also provide him with great hides, so if he prefers to get out of the light he can do so easily (though he doesn't seem to mind). There is no doubt that live plants offer so many wonderful benefits, they add oxygen, they consume ammonia, they provide shelter/shade, they are beautiful! My biggest fear with fake plants has always been leaching. You never know what is leaching into the water. Also, plastic plants can have sharp edges and since axolotls do not have scales, they are easily scratched which can lead to other issues. So I recommend if you do decide to go the route of fake, go with silk plants as they are softer. If you do decide to go the route of live plants, try some Flourish Excel to help them out. Hope this helps. :)

AquaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018   #4
rhotle

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: rhotle has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Real plants vs Fake

Hey OP, if you go with fake plants make sure they are silk or some other non-rigid material. I have a densely planted low light tank. If you have java fern your light(s) might actually be scorching the leaves. Even low, direct light tends to burn some of my lace Java fern.

Some good plants are Hydrocotyle leucocephala (Brazilian Pennywort, prolific grower), Egeria densa (Ancharis/Elodea, fast growing and flowering), any Anubias barteri variety, or any Microsorum pteropus variety (Java fern, var. WindelÝv is very pretty). These plants all tend to do well without CO2 injection and my infrequent adding of nutrients to the tank!

rhotle is offline   Reply With Quote