Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Real plants vs Fake

Tasman

Reaction score
I was wondering what people think is best for their axie. Real plants or fake? I am finding becasue of low light my real plants aren't doing so well but not sure if they are better for the axie and the tank as a whole or should I switch to fake ones? TIA

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have axies, but other newts, and I use a lot of silk plants because the light doesn't let plants grow well. THey lay eggs on them and everything so I think they work fine.

AquaGirl

Reaction score
I was wondering what people think is best for their axie. Real plants or fake? I am finding becasue of low light my real plants aren't doing so well but not sure if they are better for the axie and the tank as a whole or should I switch to fake ones? TIA

There are lots of great low light plants out there. Anubias is one of my favorites along with Java Fern and Vallisneria. I have my tank set up with low lights and are on no more than 7 hours a day for the sake of my axolotl. I also provide him with great hides, so if he prefers to get out of the light he can do so easily (though he doesn't seem to mind). There is no doubt that live plants offer so many wonderful benefits, they add oxygen, they consume ammonia, they provide shelter/shade, they are beautiful! My biggest fear with fake plants has always been leaching. You never know what is leaching into the water. Also, plastic plants can have sharp edges and since axolotls do not have scales, they are easily scratched which can lead to other issues. So I recommend if you do decide to go the route of fake, go with silk plants as they are softer. If you do decide to go the route of live plants, try some Flourish Excel to help them out. Hope this helps. :)

rhotle

Reaction score
Hey OP, if you go with fake plants make sure they are silk or some other non-rigid material. I have a densely planted low light tank. If you have java fern your light(s) might actually be scorching the leaves. Even low, direct light tends to burn some of my lace Java fern.

Some good plants are Hydrocotyle leucocephala (Brazilian Pennywort, prolific grower), Egeria densa (Ancharis/Elodea, fast growing and flowering), any Anubias barteri variety, or any Microsorum pteropus variety (Java fern, var. Windeløv is very pretty). These plants all tend to do well without CO2 injection and my infrequent adding of nutrients to the tank!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!