Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl with really red tail? Please help

firebellynewt84

Reaction score
So Hello, I got an Axolotl around last summer. He's always been really healthy and has caused no problems. However recently we moved him into a larger tank and sometimes the tank gets really cloudy. Eventually it clears up though. But the past week he's been having a red tail then back to a normal tail. He's also a lot more "floaty" then usual. Is this some sort of fungus or problem with water? Please help as soon as you can I will be posting pictures of him tomorrow. Thanks!

rhotle

Reaction score
It could be bacterial or fungal. I'm not sure. Here's a link to a Reddit thread with a similar topic. This one also had the link to another Caudata thread in it, so here's that. Are the red spots spreading, and do you have pics that you can upload or link to? Either way I think it would be a good idea to give him a tea bath or salt bath. Hope he's okay!

firebellynewt84

Reaction score
20180201_224858.jpg

20180201_224904.jpg

heres 2 pictures of him, sorry for the really blurry photos they were taken on my phone. as you can see, its pretty much only the tail with the red parts and nowhere else that i can see. can you guys tell what this is or will i have to try and take better pictures? thanks

rhotle

Reaction score
Hmmmm from what I can tell, it doesn't have the same "splotchiness" that a bacteria or fungi would have, but then again its hard for me to see the tail clearly. His gills look great though. What are your water parameters and the temp? (pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc.) When in doubt do the tea or salt bath.

Male axolotl mating behavior might be what your witnessing. Is he in a tank with a female, or have you noticed spermatophore? (sperm piles). When males do their mating dance, they have very rigid tails that turn pink due to increased blood flow. I don't know how long they remain that way though, I've never witnessed it myself. Here's some more info on that.

Cryowuff

Reaction score
I can't tell from the photos, but if the axolotl is still behaving normally I wouldn't worry. Much like their gills, leucistic and albino axolotls will sometimes go red in the tail as a result of increased oxygen levels and/or blood flow. If it were caused by fungus or bacteria, there would be a number of other concerning symptoms, and the tail would not be going from red to normal. It would remain a very concerning, sort of splotchy red coloration.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1