Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What do I clean a tank with before filling it with water ?

Shayxoxoxox

Reaction score
Not sure if I’m in the right section but I’m getting an Axie in a few days!! I’m am putting it in a 10 gallon until I adjust to the motions and can upgrade to bigger. Just curious as to what I can clean the new tank with before filling it with water ?? Although it’s new I’m a bit neurotic and would like to clean it again! I know you can’t use chemicals etc :wacko:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site! :)
I always clean tanks with vinegar and a plastic scouring pad and then rinse a few times with lots of water and dry with kitchen roll. It's something I was taught as a kid by the guy that ran our local tropical fish shop and it removes almost all stains/scale/salt build up etc from used tanks, but I always clean new tanks this way as well.
For the outside of the tank, he also taught me that neat vinegar polished off with old newspaper really makes the glass sparkle, which is handy at our house due to the amount of Shar pei slobber that always seems to land on the cleanest surfaces! ;) :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!