The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 3rd February 2018   #1
rhotle

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: rhotle has shown reliable knowledge
Question Shrimp: Breeding for Axolotl Food?

I wanted to know if anyone was successful in breeding shrimp or establishing a shrimp colony within an axolotl tank. My thought is that if I can get a stable population of shrimp established, my two Axolotls can "hunt" them. Although, I'm not sure they would be smart or patient enough to catch any. Also, are there any downsides or risks associated with keeping shrimp with Axolotls? I'm assuming the shrimp wouldn't be able to cause any damage to them. If you have any species suggestions or tips, they would be much appreciated.

I thought about ghost shrimp just because they're cheap, but it looks like the temperature range isn't compatible. Red cherry shrimp seem like the best option as of right now, but they can be somewhat expensive!

rhotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2018   #2
Eternie

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Eternie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shrimp: Breeding for Axolotl Food?

Its best not to keep a different species with an axolotl for several reasons. And you dont want the Shrimp as the main source of nutrition.

Eternie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2018   #3
rhotle

Nationality:

I totally agree with you about nutrition and housing, but aquatic shrimp don't have exoskeletons with high levels of chiton that Axolotls can't digest. I was thinking more along the lines of enrichment for my pets.

Old 3rd February 2018   #4
Eternie

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Eternie is an unknown quantity at this point

I am honestly not 100% sure about it, you can always try, its just a general rule not to keep other species with Axolotls. I havent heard anyone of trying it so, as long as they don't start eating away at your axolotls gills, I think it might be alright.

Eternie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2018   #5
rhotle

Nationality:

Yeah harming my Axolotls is my worst fear. I've found a few threads with owners who have occasionally fed them as treats, but not as a staple. My main fear is the shrimp could eat their slime coats by mistaking it for biofilm or other debris

Tags
axolotl, axolotl food, breeding food, breeding shrimp, shrimp