Illness/Sickness: Stressed axolotls!! Gills regrowth??

LittleLotti

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
LittleLotti
Hi guys.
So I've posted threads before about how one of my axolotls was a boy and both my girls layed eggs I waited to seperate as was told it would be a year until they breed again. They inevitably bred again managed to sell both clutches. So only have the first clutch of babies to raid which are all doing amazingly well.

However the one of the mummies is fine my 10 year old albino after the second lot of eggs first time breeding a month prior though gills aren't forward or any other stress signs her gills are practically gone always been small compared to my other 2 but always fluffy now basically on my a couple of scraggly fluffy bits on gills and I am very concerned she is eating well and all water conditions are fine and normal. Other mummy in there has perfect gills so I think it was due to the stress of laying eggs. I have separated my boy now so no more eggs and stress for her but will her gills recover very worried about her especially with her age. Or is this due to her age and a sign she won't be here much longer?? :(

My second question is since separating my boy to his new aquarium which was cycled first and I used half his old water to kick start this his gills are slightly curved not over his face but a slight c shape. He has only been in there a day so far. The tank is slightly facing his old tank with my girls in and he has been sitting in the corner staring at them do you think he is lonely? Or is it just me feeling bad. Do they like to be kept in couples or groups? He is eating well and doesn't show any other changes.

Thank you to everyone who has read this to the end. Hope I can get some answers.

I've attached some photos here. Hard to get a proper clear close up photo on my phone.

Attachments

• 20180205_102124.jpg
    20180205_102124.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 20180205_102200.jpg
    20180205_102200.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 20180205_102024.jpg
    20180205_102024.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 179
When you say "scraggly fluffy bits" on her gills, do you mean very noticeable white, wispy fluffs? If so, that would be fungus. You would need to do salt baths every day until the fungus disappeared. If she is still behaving as normal, that means the fungus is still in its early stages and will be easy to get rid of. However, make sure that it actually is fungus before doing any salt baths, as they are very stressful and only make things worse when they're not needed. Google some photos of fungus to be sure, as the photos you've provided are too unclear for me to draw a proper conclusion.

As for the male, he is fine, especially if he is still eating. A slight curl forward is usually a sign of minor stress, if any stress - curled gills may also be caused by too rough of a filter current. Generally, axolotls will not accept food if they are stressed, so as long as he's eating you have nothing to worry about. He may be a little stressed out over the new surroundings, although axolotls do not get lonely and it is merely coincidental that he is facing the other tank. I would suggest removing him from the separate tank and simply adding a divider to the original tank; it will be much more comfortable for him and will be more efficient for you.

I, like Ryland, am thinking that the wispy white material could be fungus. The male might just be stressed from moving into a new tank, but he's still eating which is a good sign. I would watch your other axolotls to see if they too exhibit signs of fungal infection.

Thank you for your replies. My boy is happy in his new tank now. :) my albino is doing much better gills are going back to her pink colour but still not much sign if regrowth. I don't think it is fungal as no growth and other axolotls are seemingly healthy. :) hopefully time will heal her beautiful gills. We are moving next month and have actually found a vet there that will look at axolotls so will be able to get some medical advice soon :) thank heavens for this site as none of my local vets take axolotls.

By scraggly fluffy bits I meant the actual gills have gone sparse not that she had a growth if scraggly bits. Just meant there was not much left. Like she was balding. But they are starting to fluff out a bit just very slowly colour is back to normal now though :) unless it was not the stress and my boy was biting them and I didn't see?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back