Very bloated, floating upside down!

rhio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 8 year old Axolotl has ballooned up and looks ready to explode.
He has struggled to keep the right way up.
Have made an appointment at the vets but they're unable to see him until next Tuesday. Anybody had the same thing happen or any advice on what I can do in the mean time would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_1890.jpg
    DSC_1890.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 135
Is he behaving normally aside from the floating? What are your water parameters? Is he eating and pooping as normal?

Good on you for making a vet appointment - it looks quite necessary. It may be fluid retention which, though unfortunately serious in most cases, can be helped by a good vet. In the meantime, I would recommend fridging him if he is not eating or pooping. If this is the case, he may be impacted, which could definitely make this problem worse. If he is still eating and pooping, put him in a smaller tub with just enough water to cover him. Keep him in there and change the tub's water daily until the vets are ready for him. This won't fix the problem, but it'll reduce the stress caused by floating.

Thanks for the reply!
Water levels have been checked and are normal. He is fairly normal although I have helped him to go to the top of the tank for a gasp of air as he was struggling and I couldn't bear to watch him to to swim up.
He hasn't eaten today but fed just yesterday morning but that's pretty normal for him to not eat for a day or two between a feed.
Other two axolotls in the tank are just fine and still eating so I don't believe it's a problem in their tank. Which is irritating because at least I could fix and control that!
I will for sure put him in a plastic carry tank I have for transporting. Especially as he's obviously too heavy to reach the top of the tank.
Thank you

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back