The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 7th February 2018   #1
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Libby2999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fungus and underweight

HI guys! Haven't been here for a long time and my two beloved axies where doing great! Until recently.

It all happened when I started feeding live earth worms like what was suggested on a YouTube video. Then they both got a fungus so I treated them with salt baths. Things cleared up just fine. But then it came back and worse. Plus the tank reeked like polluted lake! And my fridge! Yuck!! The worms themselves where infected with white fuzzy stuff and a few died and turned into mush!

So I went to it, cleaned the whole tank, threw the worms out and tried feeding them pellets again. The pellets I have now reek too so I'm assuming they went bad. I got more on order and should arrive tomorrow but both axies have lost a lot of weight. One of them has hip bones showing and I don't know if they'll make it now.

Please help. Should I try worms again? I mean everything happened because of them. Is pellet food fine? Salt bathing a severely underweight axie okay? How can I get them to gain weight? I miss their round belleis.

One thing to note it is hard to keep temp down so sometimes their water gets a bit warmer than should be but I keep it below 73 F

Libby2999 is offline   Reply With Quote