The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 14th February 2018   #1
Thyroyalgeek

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Thyroyalgeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My eurycea cilligera seems to like climbing.

The little guy does it even in the day! He just sticks to the glass and sits there, I'll leave the room for FIVE minutes and see him climbing across the glass all the way to the other side of the tank, he's got the stickiest little orange feet. I'm starting to get worried since he's fallen off twice, if he gets startled he'll plop of the glass and land on the bottom. I'm thinking about taking down the tank for a bit so I can install a 3D background and some easier, less dangerous, "climbing areas". Should I worry about this? I don't want him to hurt himself by me running into the room, I have to tiptoe as not to startle him.

Thyroyalgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018   #2
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: My eurycea cilligera seems to like climbing.

I did a quick Google and found lots of information about these little guys. Caudata has a good information sheet about them :-http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Eurycea/Eurycea_sp.shtml

What is it current set up like?

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018   #3
Cloppy
Lungless Salamander Group

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Cloppy has shown reliable knowledgeCloppy has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: My eurycea cilligera seems to like climbing.

What temperature is the water? Mine eurycea cirrigea would climb the glass al the time because my water temp was 75 degrees F, Once I got the temp down to about 70ish, he stopped climbing, I might be totally wrong, but there is a possibillity that the water was too warm for him.