The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 7th March 2018   #1
Neatscorpion

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Neatscorpion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Water parameters?

So I've had 4 juvenile axolotls in a 38 gallon brand new tank with a marineland canister filter going for about 2 weeks now. It was a sudden birthday gift by my loving partner who had no idea tanks had to be cycled etc. I am currently setting up and prepping to properly cycle a 55 gallon tank. I clean up after every meal, have done daily water changed (yes using water condition/dechlorinator) my water tests seem to be off to me though! Any advice, criticism/questions are greatly appreciated. The picture is day 2 of the same exact testings! After I post this I am going to test the pH and Ammonia levels of my conditioned water I usually keep 5 gallons prepped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	52729  

Neatscorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2018   #2
Katie
(kcoscia)

Nationality:
Rep: kcoscia has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Water parameters?

It is weird that you have ammonia and nitrates but no nitrites. Could be your tap have nitrates and your tank isn't cycled?

kcoscia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2018   #3
DSaxolotl

Nationality:
Rep: DSaxolotl has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Water parameters?

No criticism! You have test kit, you are aware of water changes and conditioning, all you need now is to know how to cycle the tank! Id say that more than average new keeper right there :)

You should do a test on your tap water see how that is. Then let the tank run for few days and do a test there then and see the results.

Anyway keep in mind, before you do any test shake the api bottles A LOT give it a good minute or two each before you use it and then see if that makes any difference.

But since you have your tank set up for 2 weeks I would say its not cycled. If you have any questions on that feel free to ask :)

Ex:

https://i.imgur.com/LzKU1ko.gif
Click the image to open in full size.

DSaxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote