The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Caudata.org Announcements and News Announcements, news and information about Caudata.org.

Old 13th October 2003   #1
aaron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

For all of you unlucky enough to make it to the "Meet and Greet," I have picture of those that attended, with the exception of Isaiah, as he left early Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Left to right: Dave Nash, Aaron LaForge(the coolest one), Rob St. John

(Message edited by Babamba on October 13, 2003)

Old 13th October 2003   #2
rob

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'll post some photos of animals at the show tomorrow if I get to it for anyone interested.

I think it's important to note that more salamanders were in the parking lots then in the whole show. Also, Dave has asked for his next birthday present that everyone send him a large foam rock with some fake texturing on it. He loves them.

I'm tired...me sleep now.

Old 13th October 2003   #3
aaron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Rob, that's somewhat unfair, as there were NO salamanders or newts in the show.

~Aaron

Old 13th October 2003   #4
isaiah

Gallery Images:
Comments:

There were plenty of salamanders in the parking lot..Click the image to open in full size.

Old 14th October 2003   #5
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well done guys - why does Dave look like a deer caught in the headlights?

How do people feel about an "International" Meet & Greet? Pick a continent, any continent (I'm almost serious). I would consider staging it in the USA - how does the European contingent feel? To be honest, probably my favourite location would be the UK - it's sort of more in the middle. What does everyone think? I'd be there no matter where it would be.

Old 14th October 2003   #6
claire

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'd love to come but as I never have any money I'll only be there if it's in the UK. Click the image to open in full size.

But then the majority view matters here Click the image to open in full size.

Sounds like a good idea though John

Old 14th October 2003   #7
Morg
(morg)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: morg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Claire, you sound like me, money is always a problem for me also, but if a meet n greet did go ahead in the UK I would try my hardest to make it.

www.punkradiocast.com/
morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2003   #8
Mike East
(mike)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Here`s another vote for a venue in the UK ;)

Old 14th October 2003   #9
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Isn't Iceland more in the middle than the UK? Or maybe the Azores? Click the image to open in full size.

I doubt I could ever afford a UK meeting as well (or even an east or west coast US meeting). It would be a lot of fun though. Especially in a great caudate habitat like the Appalachians or the Cascades.

Old 14th October 2003   #10
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well with that logic, why not anywhere :P.

Old 15th October 2003   #11
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Hey, don't forget the Asian contingent! Click the image to open in full size. I wouldn't rule out a trip to the UK but would favor a caudate-rich location like Nate suggested -- then we could all do some "newty" activities together...Cascades, Appalachians, Okinawa or elsewhere in Japan. And hold it during the breeding season when there's lots to see! Aren't there places where enormous numbers of amorous newts cross the roads and get squished by the thousands? We could deploy our forces there...Click the image to open in full size.

(Message edited by TJ on October 15, 2003)

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2003   #12
kaysie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Tim, i think that would be somewhere in the Appalachians... pennsylvania-west virginia ish. i suggest we all get a radio flyer wagon, and load newts into them, and give them free trips across the road. "why did the newt cross the road?..."

Old 16th October 2003   #13
uwe

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi herpers,

interesting discussion about an international meeting. But you donīt have to think about a new one. There is already one in place and it will happen this weekend in Gersfeld, Germany. And it is truely international. At least 10 nationalities are present.
So see you at the weekend (or next year)

Uwe

Old 18th October 2003   #14
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Ok, this is where I'm going to be controversial. Gersfeld is a purely "indoor" exercise. I certainly endorse the idea of getting out and about and seeing the animals in their habitat. I confess that the Appalachians sound good to me. I don't believe we should try and imitate something like Gersfeld or IAD. This should be something special to us. I'm very serious about this. A European event and and an American event might be a good compromise, if enough people were interested.

To those who think I might be dreaming, I think this would be a wonderful idea for 2004 and I think we should decide whether to do it or not. I'm all in favour of it and would organise things as far as possible.

Old 18th October 2003   #15
david

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I like the idea of a Spring field trip too. If it turns into an annual event perhaps we can very it. The Appalachians one year, the Ozarks or Pacific Northwest the next. There's plenty of unique species in the "New World".

Old 19th October 2003   #16
scott

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Sorry, I'm more of a lurker here than anything, Click the image to open in full size.
but I say one in the Pac NW would be great. Sara and I both live there (we live about 2 hours apart). I know some great spots to find T. g. granulosa, Plethodon vehiculum, A. m. macrodactylum. I'm sure Sara knows some great spots too.Click the image to open in full size.
Scott

Old 20th October 2003   #17
kaysie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

count me in for pretty much anywhere in the US, for now, as long as its planned ahead of time.

Old 20th October 2003   #18
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Why not do it as a part of IAD? Last time their were lots of salamanders offered for sale at IAD and 3 or 4 of the lectures were about salamanders and caecilians. A couple of years ago one of the field trips was observing salamanders at Camp David.
Of course my bias is because I have participated in International Amphibian Day since it started. It's held only about an hour from my house. It will be held April 2nd through 4th 2004. www.intlamphibday.org

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2003   #19
swan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I agree with Michael that it would make sense to do it as part of IAD. People could have the "indoor" and "outdoor" experiences together, or come for just the fieldtrip.
In later years, the fieldtrip could be associated with other meetings, like the Gersfeld meeting, or be held independently, if change of location too far from the IAD location is desired. Kind of rotating, if it turns out to be popular enough.

Old 20th October 2003   #20
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

A number of people that are members of Caudata.org have participated in IAD in the past and I expect they will in the future. All of those salamander people usually hang out together at IAD and sit together at the banquet. I usually "jump" back and forth between the salamander people and the frog people.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caudataorg, greet, meet, oct, park, tinley

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 17th April 2018, 06:40 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.