Unwelcome guest

M

mark

Whilst feeding my Pleurodeles I spotted this inch long dragon fly nymph in the tank. He must have stowed away on the pond weed. I'm sure he would have made a tasty snack but I thought it best to fish him out. Fortunately there were no larvae in the tank.
66140.jpg

66141.jpg

do you keep your tank outside or are your pleurodeles in a pond???

Hi Chris, no they are indoors. The plants that go in their tank are from outdoors however, and unless you wash them well they always have beasties attached. There is normally a selection of invertebrates living in my aquatic tanks but rarely do I find a large predatory animal like this.

you are lucky 'cause I found a water bug the size of an index finger in one of my ponds outside.....I found it when I was cleaning the big pond rocks cause usually the birds have a tendancy to poop all-over the rocks so anyway I was washing those and this 4 1/2 inch water bug comes rushing to the top of the pond chasing after some tadpoles........So I fished it out and left it on this stone next to the pond and when I went back outside (about 10 minutes later) it seemed to be dead so I threw it away.......I hate those bugs.....

Mark, I moved your thread here to the General Discussion area of the site because it was (inadvertently?) in the General Discussion section of the Vivaria & Equipment/Product Reviews area
wink.gif
-- <font color="ff0000">MOD</font>

I am afraid i may have found one baby of them!! What should i do??

eeew! I removed it but i dont know if there are any others.

Then again it may have not been, as it had two long strands from the back of his body.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back