Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Camera

F

froggy

what's a good but relatively nexpensive dig. cam for taking pics of newts with

S

swan

If you just want the pics for Web use, any little <$100 PC camera would do. Try to get one with a zoom .

C

chris

unregistered...!
Not entirely true. If you have a decent camera, then you will get a picture than if you took the same one with a <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> camera... but I get your point...
Swan, thanks, I will surf around and try to find a deal that suits me

C

chris

Me again, the 'red' word is not a bad swear word or any thing, hust simply c.....p, and nothing worse.
Chris

S

swan

What kind of camera do you think the following picture was taken with?
taricha-small.jpg

C

chris

I have no idea, Swan. I don't have a clue about cameras which is why I started this thread in the first place!]
Chris

S

steve

This pic was taken with a Minolta Dimage s404 4.0 Megapixel digital camera. ($450-500.US) Price matters for quality, size, and features.

here's a picture (uncompressed 250,000K , BIG)

You must Click HERE to see the entire picture. AS YOU can see in this sample pic, with a higher end camera you can literally see the skin texture, etc... of the newt. This was ORIGINALLY taken at a "smaller setting" of 2272x1704 with Quality set at "fine" This results in a uncompressed Jpeg file, or you could go "higher" to SUPER fine which would be a GIANT tiff file. The typical image storage room for a TIFF is around 12MB for a 2272x1704 and 2MB for a Jpeg "fine" at the same size.

Click HERE to see FULL PIC below

BIG_girlT.jpg

S

swan

Chris, the first pic was taken with a <$100 webcam. Resolution is fine for images for a Web page (I think we saved this at 100dpi, but could have gone higher, I think).
May not be good enough for nice print quality, though.
If you want really fine detail, go for a "real" digital camera, like Steve suggests.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1