Giant salamander found

B

billie

15 KG GIANT SALAMANDER FOUND IN SHENZHEN

30011.jpg

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-01/25/content_2504347.htm

BEIJING, Jan. 25 – A bus driver found a 15-kilogram(33lb) Chinese Giant Salamander on a road in Longgang District in Shenzhen, the Daily Sunshine reported Monday.

The 1.2-meter (47in) reptile was handed over to the district's fishery department, which said it would return the animal to nature after finding a suitable place, the report said.

Li Tai, the driver, said he saw the reptile on the road and stopped the bus to pick it up, attracting a large audience of his bus passengers.

The salamander is known as a baby fish in China because of the sound it makes. Li thought it was a baby fish, which was on the State list of protected species, and called police.

Of all the salamanders they had confiscated, police said it was the largest and heaviest they had seen.

It could be 10 years old, police said, and could have been sold for tens of thousands of yuan on the black market.

Police suspected the reptile had been illegally caught and had escaped in transit.

The Chinese Giant Salamander is one of the world’s largest salamanders. With a broad head and mouth, it is usually dark-colored with light colors underneath and black patches on its upper side.

The four limbs are short and its tail accounts for more than half its length. It has a smooth, thick skin. It is quite sensitive to its environment such as water quality and temperature and the number in the wild has decreased because of loss of habitat and pollution. Enditem

What an amazing animal!

Anyone know what part of China ShenZen is in?

Shenzhen is situated in the southern coastal area of Guangdong province, 35 kilometers north of Hong Kong....so far away from it's natural range.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back