C.orientalis morphs Dead...Confusion

H

hayden

Hey all, Its a rather sad Morning for me, I woke up to find the C.o Morphs from Pin Pin Dead...I have no idea why...They were upside down in the water With their tongues swelled up so much their little mouths were Wide open...I have no idea how this happened...I just changed water last night and they finally ate some food...I really wanted to Raise some morphs and then when i get the chance...I screw it up...Ill try and get more Detail as to the set up later...

Ah, that's really too bad.

In the water? Sounds like they may have drowned. I haven't experimented raising Cynops morphs aquatically instead of land, and from what I've been hearing these days, I don't have any intention of trying. ..

sad.gif
That's tragic. I'm sorry to hear.

I regularly shoo everyone (c.o.) into the water to feed them blackworms, they've all managed fine.

I guess I'll wait until the other 4 I have get a bit larger, maybe the stress of shipping did them in.

After moving to a new setup, morphs are at risk of drowning. However, I've never heard of a drowned newt having an enlarged tongue. Swollen mouth parts suggests a bacterial infection.

sick.gif
Perhaps you could use a good quality natural water instead of trying conditioned water from a pet store or your tap water; the latter two might be spoiled by either too many chemicals(chlorine and/or herbicides).
You would of course have to make sure that your natural water is ok in the first place...
Was the tongue of the salamander really that swollen...I had a casualty among my triturus marmoratuses of which one drowned; this one had a really swollen throat, but the tongue was normal...
Greets, rob

Good quality natural water-what do you mean by that?

I think it would be best to use all purpose dechlorinator(some remove ammonia and metals as well).

I think that if they drowned, they would have sank, but I see no reason why the tongues would stick out.

How big were they?

With the Cynops larvae that I've seen seemingly drowned, their mouths were open a bit in some cases, but I didn't notice their tongues sticking out.

Anyway, don't let this initial disappointment get you down too much. Chalk it up to experience!
biggrin.gif

sorry to hear about your morphs. In my area, they added a substance to our tap water that will kill fish for some reason. I have to use either bottled water (spring, drinking, or distilled) or something called AquaSafe by TetraAqua. The additive in our water is chloramine. Nasty stuff, I won't even drink tap water. (My dad did water conditioning for a living) Sorry to hear about your morphs again. Hope everything else goes well!

So sorry to hear your bad news. I am new to raising newts. I have c. orientalis. I recently had 3 of my (larger) larvae die just in the last couple of days. I have been thinking, and rethinking, what it is that I have done to cause their deaths. Food? Water change? If you can think of anything different that you have done, or a "lightbulb" goes off, let me know. I will appreciate any info. myself. Best of luck.

Pamela, I've had a bad run of luck this year with drownings of C. pyrrhogaster morphs. If the animals were otherwise healthy and found dead in the water, I would suspect drowning.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back