Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Grasshoppers as food?

C

chris

My frog will only eat grasshoppers. It won't eat crickets or mealworms or moths or anything else. We have an abundance of them at certain times and then they are scarce for most of the year.

I live in a pesticide free area. Is there a way I could catch a some and keep them in a tank or a container?

Please help me it's all my frog will eat and I don't have a place to get them at year-round. I just want my frog to have a constant food supply.

Thank You!!

H

hayden

You can buy Can o grasshoppers from zoomed...They are pesticide free.

J

joseph

Can o crickets.

I don't quite understand why he would not want crickets but grasshoppers instead.

Fasting in order? I don't think anyone breeds grasshoppers as pet food(and then they could still be seasonal).

K

k.

I would like to point out that there is NO pesticide/herbicide free areas. Atrazine, a herbicide responsible for disrupting the sexual development of frogs at concentrations 30 times lower than levels allowed by the Environmental Protection Agency, is found in rain water and every woman's breast milk in the US.

First off, what kind of frog is it? How often do you feed it? Chances are you are feeding it too much and while it has the luxury of being fed plenty, is being selective in its diet.

C

chris

It's a gray tree frog.

I feed it once every 2nd or 3rd day. I had tried crickets, moths, and meal worms for almost the entire first week. And then one day a grasshopper landed on my shirt so I fed it to the frog and it ate it. That was almost 2 months ago and the frog still loves grasshoppers. And yes I still have been trying the others but it won't eat them.

K

k.

I find that strange. Grays are very hardy and are gluttons when it comes being fed! Assuming you are using adult live crickets, try feeding him nothing but non-grasshopper for 2 weeks. I have never had a healthy gray turn down crickets!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1