Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Cynops Book available !

S

sergé

I find it a very interesting book, for beginning and experienced people. Hopefully it will get translated soon!

E

em

Wow, congrats on the publish!

Indeed - will it get translated into English at any point? Do you know, or have control over that?

Unfortunately, I don't know French.
sad.gif

freves

Reaction score
I ordered this book from overseas basically as an experiment since I have never had anything shipped into the country before. I do not speak a word of French but based on the title - Les Tritons Japonais et Chinois - I thought that the book would be worth a look given my interest in Tylototriton and Echinotriton. Needless to say that I was disappointed when it arrived and I realized that it only covered C. pyrroghaster and C. orientalis however I remembered this thread and thought that I would post a few comments.
First of all I have to state that this is in no way a proper review since I cannot read French. With that said the book is soft cover, 109 pages in length, and has many excellent photos most of which seem to be taken by Paul Bachhausen and Henk Wallays. There are nine chapters. The section dealing with C. pyrroghaster seems to go into some detail describing the various races with lots of accompying photos. Caudata.org is listed not only under internet sites in the back but there is also a "picture" of caudata. org on one page (a computer with our website displayed).
I agree that an English translated version would be welcome by many hobbyists. Otherwise perhaps someone fluent in French could do a more proper review in the future.
Chip

sergé

Reaction score
There is even a "better" book on Cynops available; Franzen, M & U. Franzen, 2005. Feuerbachmolche. Pflege und Zucht. Offenbach Herpeton. ISBN: 3-936180-15-6. It's in german ;-)

I have written a review comparing both books for POD@RCIS magazine. As more experienced keeper my vote goes for the German book, as I still learned new things from this book and it is nicer edited (the publisher Herpeton clearly has more experience with this type of books). But the french book is a must for any newt keeper with french as it's first language.

General summary:
The languages can be a barrier. But that goes for both books. The French book lists a few internet sites which show that the salamander and newt community is an international community and has been supported by many private keepers with photo's. the french book also has more general introductions about amphibians.

Sadly, there is nothing in the English language that can compare with both these books. The books in the TFH series are really really bad when compared with these two.

Both books give you enough interesting information for keeping and breeding newts, even if you are not interested in Cynops species these books are worth reading. In the French language books on keeping and breeding newts are almost absent. There for the French book fills clearly a gap that was available, but for someone who is more experienced and just interested in Cynops will have find more new information in the German book.

But...for these prices, just order both!

PereJosa

Reaction score
Hello.

Marie sophie i Have this book !! I buy in france with internet. im not speak french, but i thing, it's possible read ( i'm understand, not in 100%, but understand). I like this book

It's good idea translate this book to spanish ( in spanish not have one cynops, or asiatic newts book....)

Good bye!!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah the French. J'aime les francaises.

Now the Germans, did they give Caudata.org a link? I've got 5 Euro on the answer being "no". Can someone prove me wrong please?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a link to a german bookstore John, not the German society.
Great bookstore by the way.
There is even a "better" book on Cynops available; Franzen, M & U. Franzen, 2005. Feuerbachmolche. Pflege und Zucht. Offenbach Herpeton. ISBN: 3-936180-15-6. It's in german ;-)
Either Sergé's English has suddenly gone wrong or you're confused, Rob.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: AW: New Cynops Book available !

I believe Marie-Sophie learned most of her newt-craft from our site, for years before she wrote that book.

I sometimes wonder about these new books that come out and don't mention us. We have to be like the 2 ton elephant in the room - how can they ignore us.

In fairness, Dick Bartlett, Devin Edmonds, and now Marie-Sophie have been kind supporters of the site. However, we could use some German love, bitte.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!