Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Has anyone used one of these?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Nic,
I looked into it and ruled it out for my collection. They only lower the temp about 5 to 10 degrees in the tank and are pretty expensive. I think air conditioning is more economical in most cases. My basement is nice and cool since we crammed that big air conditioner in that little window.

I

ira

you can make a homemade tank chiller pretty easily. all you need is a small fridge (the kind kids get for college dorms), about 100-200 feet of flexible tubing and one of those heavy duty out of tank water pumps. The premise is pretty simple, drill two holes in the fridge big enough for the tubing to pass through and then just coil as much tubing as you possibly can into the fridge. As the water passes through the fridge, it cools down (why you need about 100 feet of tubing in the fridge, so the water dosnt pass to quickly).

Now i have never made one of these, i have just read about them being made on saltwater forums. It seems like it would be pretty easy to make and work really well though, but an airconditioner would probally be cheaper and less time consuming.

N

nic

Well, my options are limited because I don't have a special room for refridgeration for keeping them in separately as I live in an apartment, and I keep dart frogs as well which need a temp range of about 10 to 15 degrees warmer. For my terrestrial set up I went with an air to air peltier unit on a semi insulated vivarium and
seems to be working fine. I was just wondering if anyone has tried the water to water peltier. Also it would probably make more since to use the iceprobe because the cost of a small fridge+the pump+ the tubing +plus time putting it together+space it takes up would probably make it more worthwhile to
insulate the tank and use the iceprobe. I was told of a school that manages to get 55 degrees in an ambient 70 degrees because they insulated the tank. It was to incubate salmon eggs. Here in LA
it get warm in the summer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1