I hate pet stores!!

H

heather

I feel the need to grip - out doing some errands today and decided to go into a pet store, just to check it out. They had newts: firebellies, warty, eastern, even a "green" newt, all in together. This frustrates me so much, that such ignorance and disregard for animal life occurs, all in the name of making a few bucks. I wish I had the time, space, money and knowledge to give each and every newt in that store a better home, one which they deserve after (most likely) being taken from their wild homes, going through who knows how many hands only to end up in a cramped dirty tank. I hope they each find good homes where they can thrive, but I think the likelihood of this is just about nill. And when they are finally sold, or die, the store will only replace them with more. It makes me so ANGRY!! Grrr!!!
Anyway, sorry for the tyrade. That pet store just really makes me mad...
Heather

No, I didnt think about it till after I left. I didnt stay long enough to see a saleperson. I regrett not saying anything now. But I dont think I would even know how to confront them on it. Guess I shouldnt complain until I am willing to do something to help fix the problem...

And I guess I shouldnt hate pet stores, because without one I most likely would never have become interested in and obtained a newt many years ago. The stores just frustrate me at times. And I do wish I had more guts to say something the next time, and that I would THINK about saying something before I left the store, too.

Some times it is best not to say anything when you are so angry anyway. But you can always go back
happy.gif

or send them a letter explaining the care of each of the kinds of newts they had. A lot of pet store people really have no clue about how to take care of animals.

i generally dont like pet stores. i worked in one. a pet store in phoenix called PETS INC. its a good pet store... very good. what i hate is the egos that work there, the put downs toward customers bu employees... but mostly the egos. anyhoo, here in havasu, there is a pet store that still keeps their animals on astro turf. they have 8 species of frog in one 20g tank. animals with diseases that never get treated.... its horrible. i brought all this stuff to their attention...even offered to help them properly set up their stuff.... well, they just got really offended and dont like me at all now. there was a bearded dragon that had a rotten tail. i confronted them. they said it went to the vet and they couldnt amputate the tip of the tail because it was on antibiotics and they needed to wait 2 weeks to amputate. they said the lizard would die if the amputation happened while on antibiotics. right then i knew they were lying. i think the lizard dies because it was severely ill and it was gone a week later. i wish i could have helped.

Hmm... I kind of got an idea, why not make an official caudata.org care sheet to hand out to ignorant pet stores? I know all Salamanders, are different, but it would still be a step in the right direction. Like, it could say wat to use for substrate, not to house more than one species together, instructions on how to gutload food, etc. Then, any of us lurking in pet stores could hand out a printed copy of these instructions. They'd have to be straight forward, and easy to read real fast, in a bullet system or something. Just a suggestion.

Yes thats a good idea. I wrote care sheets for my local store on the species it sells. The store owners were very pleased about it.

Maybe I'll bring this up in chat with some brains, and see what they think of it.

I think the idea has merit. Are you willing to write it, Nick?

Good idea Nicholas, don't forget to mention <u>unheated</u> tanks and to avoid fish or turtle companions.

I think care sheets would be great, and having something like that to share with pet store employees would give me more confidence in approaching them with any concerns.

Well, they can also check the internet themselves and find loads of care sheets. But they don't. I think we can help them, but they should take their own responsibility as well.
And to be fair; I am not spending my time to let them make more profit...
They can find care sheets on caudata central, if they charge 10 cts extra per animal they can pay for the print costs they have to make...we can not make it more easy, but the truth is...they are not interested in the animals themselves.

To be honest Serge most per shops have too many animals to be able to do individual research like that, I bet nobody even know Caudata.org exists.
Another problem is the education level, here in Sweden the pet shop owner and their custumers would probably not be so keen on english care sheets. I have been working on some swedish care sheets for some time now(my thesis keep disturbing this), I'll just send them the files then they can print them. Let's face it - pet shops aren't exactly the most profitable business in the world, especially not for the small shops.

I absolutely adore PETS INC. I go to school in Tempe, did you ever work with a skinny guy, always wears a beanie, ears pierced? Tattoos I think? Kind of homely looking? That guy never looks me in the eye, the bastard.

Do you know the Chesapeake Apartments? I'm looking for a new apartment right now, actually considering moving into them because they're so damned close to Pets Inc!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wet Pets in Flagstaff is a great store too, mainly a fish store though, they keep all their amphibians in one tank together.

I agree about the petshop scene.. I went in my local pet shop called Pet Center. Just a local shop. They really do not even know how to take care of newts whatsoever. They had a tank setup for some Cynops Orientalis and they had the tank almost all the way full with water, and no land mass at all! Not to mention the temperature of the water was way about 75 degrees. Needless to say the couple newts in the tank were floating dead up on top. I brought it to their attention and hopefully they will do something about it.. As for the caresheets that would be a really good idea to do, and it would take a lot of time to get around. But even if some stores actually follow it, at least something was accomplished..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back