Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Soo..... what you doing 6/11-7/28??? (yellowstone job)

P

paris

Amphibian Monitoring Tech
Agency: Idaho State University
Job Description: Short-term, intensive field work, starting about June 11 and ending by July 28. This is the 7th year of a project sponsored by National Park Service and USGS, with employment through Idaho State U. Duties include locating wetlands, conducting daytime surveys for amphibians, and entering data in PDAs. The work is done by 2-person field crews. Most workdays include long hikes, with study sites located away from roads and trails. Some sampling areas are remote and require back-packing. Work weeks may exceed 50 hours. Pay is based on hours worked; we anticipate about 350 hours total per person. Accommodations provided in Yellowstone consist of simple bunkhouse quarters with kitchen facilities. Cell phone coverage is limited and email is not available at the field station. Vehicles provided, for work use only. Memorable job due to wildlife and opportunity to experience Yellowstone.
Qualifications: Experience in wildlife surveys and a keen interest in natural history are required. Previous work with amphibians is preferred. Candidates should be in excellent physical condition, be willing to work with one other person in grizzly bear country, and have the endurance for long hikes over rough terrain in sometimes adverse conditions including abundant biting insects. Applicants must show that they have experience in back-country camping and off-trail hiking, and have skills in map-reading and use of GPS. Need to be meticulous with data and competent with computers. Must be flexible about work schedules, which are tailored to finish fieldwork within the 6 week period. Training and certification in first aid is recommended. Employees provide their own hiking/camping gear (backpack, sleeping bag, good hiking boots, etc. Equipment specific to amphibian surveys is provided (waders, nets). Your own transportation is needed to reach the field station, which is 80-100 miles from the nearest towns with airports.
Salary: $10.00 per hour
Last Date to apply: March 20, 2007
E-mail: dpatla@hughes.net(Preferred)

ravenous

Reaction score
This sounds like something I would really love to do.

Are you associated with this Program Paris? I assume since your posting this on a message board, applicants from out of state can apply?

Im gonna type up an email to that woman and apply. This sounds like a sweet opportunity.

ravenous

Reaction score
Sent an email to Ms Patla, hope she lets outta state kooks apply
happy.gif

P

paris

dan,
no i am not associated with the program. i just thought it would be of interest to people here. i am working with The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1