1 Arm, 2 legs GONE!

C

claire

I bought two fire-bellied newts. One of them lost his foot and later died. The other one was fine. 5 days later i bought a new newt. He is doing great. But the other newt has lost his back two feet and one arm. It looks like they have been shredded off. I feel horrible because he has such trouble moving around with only one arm. What is happening to him?

my newt is kinda doing the same thing but one of his arm or legs what ever they are is decaying too. so i toke him away from the othernewt. it he also has the skin tore off down on his tail all the way down to the pink. i am thinking the other newt is doing it.. but i hear that if they are the same type of newt they should be alright.

(Message edited by joel on March 06, 2006)

oOOH My word i just discovered MY NEWT is eating its legg.... does this mean it is hungary because i am feeding it worms it just wont eat it... maybe that is because he is full off his legg..

ill.... what happened to your newts? I never heard of them doing this.... so creepy... My newts never do that.

I have no clue what happed all i know is he had hit hole leg to hi foot about an hour ago and now. he has like hi leg to the jointand no firther... i called the nearest pet store and they said all they know is get the treatment call melfix or something.

ooh my newt finaly moved and i can see that he still does have down to his foot but.. it is turning all white and fommy where his foot is. what that.. so he is nt eating it i gess.

maybe they were fighting, and now the wounds are irritating the newt and causing him to chew at it

I think Fire belly are community newts. I doubt it is caused by figihting. But I am interested to know why as well.

They most likely have rot, and you can't always tell that they have it until you get them home. In mild cases, Melafix could do the trick (it saved my taricha with a small wound, but didn't do anything for my baby fire bellies who had it bad last fall.)

I'd say your only hope is getting it to a vet for some antibiotics.
They are not fighting. An infection is slowly and painfully eating away at your newt. Treatment is needed ASAP.

ok thanks but now my newts other front arm is rooting or the other firebellied newt is eating it.
uhoh.gif

Hi i was told that if i was to put my newt in the refrigerator it might get a little better or would this be to cold to.and treat it with antibiotics. I was also going to try to dirt treatment first. would this work for a firebelly newt? because don't they need water? i think it might get to dry. because the soil is just moist.

As long as the newt is on moist soil, it won't dry out. They absorb water through their skin.

OK thanks now one more thing DO you think this might work. to eliminate the infection.?

well i have purchased melafix the other day and The fuzzy white stuff on my newts foot is gradually starting to go away and return to normal. the spots on his tail are starting to lighten and look a lot better and not so sore. i hope this stuff works.. but i am not sure if i just add the stuff every day or change the water every day and add it again? either way it is working but if i am doing it wrong someone should tell me before i injure my newt even worse. i am just adding the stuff to the water. like it says to o the bottle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back