High pH

K

karen

I just took a pH reading last night for my nvv tank and it was 7.6 or 7.4.....it's usually around 6.4 - 6.8. What may have caused the pH to rise? I'm doing the same thing as always, removing waste, partial water changes etc. Any ideas?

Also, I know some people here use the dry tabs for reading pH, ammonia levels etc. I'd like to switch over from the liquid kits....can anyone recommend any dry tab kits? Are they more accurate?

Hi Karen, I'm not sure which kind are more accurate, but I know that my roommate used to use a 5-in-1 dry tap strip by Jungle that she bought at Wal-Mart.

I don't know much about these, whether or not they are accurate, but she seemed to like them.

The strips are known to be inaccurate.
In the USA, people tend to use the dry tab master test kit by Aquarium Pharmaceutucal.

Ed

As a tank "ages", the pH tends to decrease over time. I would say that a pH of 7.6 is perfectly OK, but you might want to think if there is anything that might be causing it to shift in this "unusual" direction. It could be that you've done more water changes lately, or perhaps your tap water has changed. Have you added any new shells, sand, rocks, etc to the tank?

I did change the gravel/rocks last month - perhaps that's it. As long as 7.6 is not too high I won't worry too much. I'll check the pH again tomorrow and I'll try to find the dry tab kit. Thanks.

If any of the gravel you used is any form of limestone, that would explain the shift. Keep an eye on it, you don't want it to get too high.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back