Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Good places for newt larvae in oakville

Q

quintin

Does anyone know any good sites for Cynops orientalis larvae in Oakville or any good places to get?
but I have a question does anyone think it would be a good idea getting newts at big al's because they look pretty heathy but i'm just a begginer
Oh and eastern newt larvae

(Message edited by newt on September 07, 2005)

J

joan

Cynops orientalis are native to China, not the N/A.

Most other newts have morphed and are on land now.

For 'just a beginner', I'd recommend buying something captive bred. If you buy something wildcaught, or catch it yourself, you run more of a risk having to deal with parasites and/or other diseases. Getting an 'easy' starter animal and learning the tricks of the trade is better than just going out and getting anything.

I

ian

Cynops Orientalis larvae are available at my house. haha...let me see. maybe I can give some to you. Since I have have two adults still laying eggs.

And I just want to advice you that it is illegal to purchase or sale native amphibian in Canada. Ontarian are not allowed to keep more than one animal of a native species and more than one species.

For more details in legal issue, refer to http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/csb/news/jan5nr99.html and look into wildlife in captivity.

Why do I know? because I also wanted to keep a tank of Eastern newt and spotted salamander... This is a pain...

(Message edited by achiinto on September 08, 2005)

Q

quintin

Joan I know they aren't in canada but they are selling them at a fish store near my house...well sort of

(Message edited by newt on September 08, 2005)

Q

quintin

ARG man that is a pain..and just so you know I'm just really hoping I can get a newt..but if I do alot of research on the animal and know everything i need(what I did to get me gecko lol) then my parents will probably let me have one but this time I might have to pay for everything
lame.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1