Semi aquatic salamanders?

A

alison

Looking for information on a semi aquatic salamander that would make a good pet for 11 year old?

I am new here so take my opinion as just that. My kids have been keeping California Newts since they were very small. It started off as a small tank for their room for fun but has become something they really care for. They may be more aquatic than you like as the adults leave the water only for short periods of time. I have also not seen them in many of the shops lately but I believe they can be ordered. They don't mind being handled during cleaning and I have several that are close to 10 years old. The do produce a lot of nitrate though and need regular maintainance. I keep the tank planted with fern and pathos directly in the water to keep nutrients in check but the nitrate still rises regularly.

The only issue with Taricha is that they are VERY toxic, and should not be handled by children or not-that-smart adults.

On that note, if you think your 11 year old is responsible enough to not poison themselves, then they make great pets. I adore mine.

Is the 11-year old really intent upon a salamander? The reasons I ask are (1) there are other herp pets that are more kid-friendly, able to be handled, or easier to care for, and (2) consider that all the newts sold in shops are wild-caught, which isn't the greatest lesson in wildlife conservation.

I did neglect to mention the toxicity issue. Though common sense, it bears mentioning that hands should be washed after handling any reptile, amphibian etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back