The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 12th March 2006   #1
karen

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Can anyone recommend any live plants that are NOT green? Currently I have all live plants in my tank (elodea, anubius, java fern and java moss) but I'm getting a little bored with the all-green color scheme and want to change it up a bit. Otherwise, I'll try to find some colored fake plants, but I'd prefer the all-live set-up. Thanks!

Old 12th March 2006   #2
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

if its not green it will require more light to grow-and more light equates to an increase in heat..

Old 12th March 2006   #3
ian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Echinodorus x Barthii : Medium to high light, 16-29C
Echinodorus 'Rubin': Medium to very high light, 18-30C
And some other Echindorus also have dark red leaves.and require only medium light.

Cryptocoryne sp. most have some redish color under the leave. But require as low as low to medium.

With medium light requirement can also try Alternanthera reineckii "Roseafolia"

Proserpinaea palustris 'Cuba' also has red/ copper colour leaves. Require medium light and 10-28C.

Paris was right. more light more heat. I simple prefer plants with very low to low light requirement. Cause more light also cause newt to hide more and feel insecure.

Anyhow, you may try out those plants I suggested at the top.

Old 12th March 2006   #4
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

But actually, variegated plants often need less light. It doesn't make sense logically, but it's true for a lot of outdoor plants. I don't know about those with reddish foliage, whether they need more or less light. There aren't very many aquatic plants available that are anything but plain green.

I'd suggest some silk artificial plants. When mixed with live plants, it's hard to tell they're fake.

Does your tank have any space above the water line? If so, there are varieties of pothos and wandering jew that are variegated or even purplish.

Old 12th March 2006   #5
ian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

If you can find a petshop or aquarium that carry "Tropica" plant. Then you can order the live plant there by the info on the catelog of "Tropica". See Tropica's website and you will see each available plant's requirement.

Old 12th March 2006   #6
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Last I remember Tropica cannot get their plants into the US as they ship them potted and the customs will not allow potted plants in in fear of pests(ironically Tropica has a state of art growing facility and the plants are not potted in dirt or similar).

I haven't seen a variegated aquatic plant before in life(I've seen photos of variegated Anubias but some say they will not stay variegated aquatically).

I would try Cryptocoryne sp. Dunno how they will do at lower temps for you though.(mine survived, but never grew lush in cold tanks).

Old 12th March 2006   #7
ian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yea. Tropica only use wool. That is funny and sad. Cause Tropica provide muce more choices for aquarium plants in high quality.

Old 12th March 2006   #8
alex

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Actually, I find that places like Petco and PetSmart have a moderate selection of aquarium plants. Check big places like that or big fish stores, sometimes you can find some pretty good stuff. Alex.

Old 12th March 2006   #9
karen

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I checked out 2 stores today (petsmart and petco) and all they had were (live) green plants. their stock of fake plants was pretty low, so I plan on going back in a few days to see what they have when they're stocked up. I did see something interesting though and wanted to pass it on.....there was something that was advertised as "natural", a fern of some sort that was dried out and tinted with dyes to make them colored. On the directions it said to soak them in water to leach out any extra dye and then they can be used in the tank. Seeing as that they're real plants, they look much nicer than the plastic ones, but I'm skeptical. Has anyone used these or know of anyone who's used them?? Should i be concerned? It says they're not harmful to animals. Just wanted to toss that out there.

Also, Ian...all those plants you listed....since I didn't see them in the pet store, would I get them from a florist shop instead? Where would one purchase these?

Old 13th March 2006   #10
ian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

You may try some specialized fish store. Fish hobbyists tend to be a bigger market of water plant. So they should have more variations.

Tags
plants, recommendations

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 8th April 2018, 20:22 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.