Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plant stuff

S

samuel

Ok, i just got anubias and java fern. I'm new at plant keeping so i have a few questions...
1. Do i need to quarantine my plants?
2. How long will the plants last on average?
3. Other special requirements?
4. Some of the leaves have small holes in em with brown spots, i plucked out the more conspicious ones, any need to worry?
Thank's in advance

Sarmuel

J

joeri

1. I never put plants in quarantine unless I see they are crowded with snails or I know I just have to use a product to remove small insects from it. Jusr make sure you wash the plants.

2. Both anubias and java fern are good plants. Java will grow slowly but will last. Anubias will last as well, but grows faster. In 3/4 of a year my anubias has trippled.

3. If you plant the anubias, make sure that the horizontal root (on wich your leaves grow) stays above the grind / sand. You may have to put it under at first if your plants haven't got enough roots yet, but remember to pull it out (a bit) later.
Your java is very nice as a decoration. It can cover anything; stones, wood, terracotta,... whatever. The only thing you have to do is to attach it to the place where you want it to grow. You can use an elastic to keep it in place.

4. You have done wisely. It's a rule that plants aren't in the best of shape when you buy them. In your tank they will settle and take their time to grow. Sometimes plants loose their leaves first and then grow new leaves. That won't be the case for your plants. The anubias is very easy going.
No need to worry in my opinion.

Good luck
greetings

J

jesper

I dont do anything to them, most plants like their stem above the gravel though as Leonardo pointed out same goes with java fern. I always attach my java ferns with "fishing line" on wood, looks lovely and with the right amount of light and adequate levels of poop(nutrition) it can grow quite fast actually even though it is counted as a slow growing plant, anubias is A LOT slower though
talker.gif

S

samuel

Hi Joe and Jes,
Thanx you both
talker.gif
. Wait, my anubias came tied to a rock (my tank has no gravel by the way) maybe it's not anubias? it sure does look like it frm pics..

SAm

J

joeri

btw I mixed up Java verns with Java moss. Verns grow faster indeed.

And to be correct, I talked about anubias anubias.

J

jesper

Sorry!
I wrote anubias version nana, it was supposed to be anubias barteri variant nana just like you pointed out Sam.
smile.gif

S

samuel

No worries jesper, btw you know how long anubias and java fern takes to root into driftwood? i can't wait to remove the rubberbands on em

J

jesper

It will take a couple of weeks for the java fern, I dont know about the anubias.
alien.gif

S

samuel

Hey guys,

Ok, my anubias has fungus or so it seems. There are fuzzy stuff on the wood on which i anchorred it and also fuzzy stuff on the edge of the stems where i plucked off the holey leaves. it's now outta my tank, any ideas?

Sam

D

dean

whats the best plants for my guanxi warty newts they live full aquatic? Please help

S

samuel

Java ferns (microsorum pteropus), Java moss (vescularis dubyana) and Anubias nana are my favourites. So far my java ferns are thriving the best, so java shd be the best choice.

janice

Reaction score
If you don't have a strong light source for your newt tank, Sam's suggestions are the best. You could also add a crypt or two if you like; many of them do OK without a lot of light, although they aren't as vigorous as they could be. If you do have a fair amount of light, my C. orientalis love climbing on plants to reach the water surface, and then just about anything will do. The faster growing plants (like hygrophila ) will help with water quality, too. This is just stuff I've learned from years of fishkeeping....

S

samuel

I love ferns cuz they dun need gravel and soil and can grow on rock and wood. It gives hobbyists like me new hope cuz i dun use gravel
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1