Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eft water dish

TJ

Reaction score
What kind of water should be used in a Red eft's water dish?

C

christopher

well cold bottled water or aged tap water...the first choice is best...

J

jennifer

Any water that does not contain chlorine. I wouldn't say that bottled water is any better than properly treated tap water.

TJ

Reaction score
I have a dehumidifier at home. I can use that because the water comes right from the air.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You may want to consider not doing this - the dehumidifier collection vessel itself may pose problems depending on what material it is made from and what condition it may be in, e.g., rusting. Collected static water could also be a source of microbes. Safest bet is to do as Jennifer suggested above.

(Message edited by jan on June 06, 2006)

J

jennifer

I agree, I would worry about bacteria. The tubing and collection containers for dehumidifiers are usually coated with a rather gross slime.

TJ

Reaction score
The tubing and all that stuff is cleaned frequently and all the water comes from the natural humidity in the air, so I don't see what bacteria could be in it. Besides, I use it in my fish tank and the fish have been alive in there and perfectly healthy for about 4 years.

M

meghan

Tim, Jen wouldn't steer you wrong....I'd take her advice. Otherwise you're putting you're efts at needless risks. Why do that?

(Message edited by 2tanker on June 11, 2006)

K

karen

It's easier to just use tap water that's been allowed to sit overnight (so dissolved gas bubbles can escape), then place the water in the refrigerator to make it cold. Be sure to check water for chlorine though.

TJ

Reaction score
But somebody on this website told me that they don't use chlorine for tap water anymore, so exposing it to sunlight doesn't work. I think it does though. I've tried it.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Tim - this depends on where you live. More and more municipalities are switching to chloramine and away from chlorine. Chloramine which is a combination of chlorine and ammonia is not removed by allowing water to stand (it does not dissipate as does chlorine) and it is not removed by boiling.

M

mark

Buy some de-chlorinator that treats both chlorine and chloramine from a pet shop and treat the tap water you use. Far easier than bottled water and cheaper in the long run. Just follow the instructions carefully.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1