New newts

A

audrey

I just got 4 new paddletail newts. I have them in a 30long aquarium (by themselves). They were all a little tramatized after I got them because they had a 4 hr car drive. However, 3 seem happy, but 1 has bumps on his skin. They are white and small. He seems less active then the other 3. I haven't been able to get a good picture of him and am warry of touching him if he is already sensitive. Should I quarantine him? Is there any way to medicate, and what other info might be helpful for figuring this out?

I think the safest bet is to quarantine him, and get good pictures for the more experience forum members.

I dont know whats happend but i would suggest keeping him in another tank for the time being, and we do need a picture.

Audrey, if they were held together, the only benefit to quarantining would be to medicate it seperately.

Can you describe the bumps better?*

I am trying to get a picture but the bumps are so small and my camera doesn't seem good enough to pick them up, maybe I can borrow a camera. The bumps are mainly around the head and a few on the body. They appear to be circular and a light creamish color, about the size of a pen head. They bump up on the skin. However, he may be fine because he hasn't been
acting sick for the last two days and when I tried to pick him up to get a photo, he certainly put up a healthy fight. I'm not used to these aggressive newts!

Well please try for a photo so we can identify, but i still think you should separate him. If you zoomed in on even 2 that would help, or even draw one if your desprate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back