Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cooling period, How long?

B

benjamin

Last time I bred my newts I gave them a cooling period of 16 weeks. But this year my C. orientalis have been at 10º c for just one week and already my female has enormous fat reserves, and the male's cloaca is very swollen and "hairy". It's so tempting just to take them out now.

K

kaysie

you dont really have to cool C.o. to get them to breed.

B

benjamin

Well I attribute the changes they're showing right now to a cooling period, but it could just be the female responding to being moved from a crappy pet store environment, to good one, and the male responding to the presence of a potential mate and his return to the water after a year on land (he spontaniously went terrestrial and then, just as spontaneously, ironically when a I bought the other newt, he suddenly returned to the water).

J

jennifer

What do you mean by "take them out"? Take them out FROM where, and TO where?

E

edward

Hu Jenni,
I suspect he is referring to take them out of the cooler temps....

Ed

J

joseph

Mine are breeding right now, yours are already in cool temps? My temps are dropping as of now.

B

benjamin

Yeah I mean take them out of cool temps. They seem to have all the required breeding "apparatus" (Male: swollen cloaca, Female: Large fat reserves, triangular shaped cloaca.) I'm thingking of keeping them cool until the solstice but artificial lighting can fix that. I suppose it wouldn't make sense to breed them now because I'm going on vacation in a week, then have lots of evening activities until mid november, and after that exams so I guess I might be best keeping them cold until then, but after losing four last winter, I'm a bit worried about long cooling periods, especially if they're not necessary (which my observations seem to say it isn't.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1