Please help

S

sarah

I'm worried about my 2 hongkongs, recently they have started stying at the top or the tank like at the surface or on land, they used to spend every hour of every day in the water, now they don't want to, they used to go mad over food and come to the front of the tank when i walked passed thinking they were going to get fed,
now they are not interested, one especially used to love eating tadpole now he ignores them he doesn't want to know
sad.gif

I am really worried and what has made it even worse is that they haven't even bothered eating the skin sheddings, before they would argue as to who would eat it, now it is just floating in the water..

Please can you help, i don't want to lose them
cry.gif

have you chanced your taking-care-system(sorry my bad english
blush.gif
)? have you cleaned more than usual or are your water more warm or hot?

my cynops pyrrhogasters started to stress when i just had them, because i cleaned too much. i started to clean less and finally they went back to water.

Have you tested your water for ammonia and nitrite,this could be the problem.

well I wouldnt recomend you keep tadpoles with your hong kongs because tadpoles dirty the water to fast but about your problem it might be because your water is to hot....check and see if your water is above 70f because if it is then the try to steer clear of the water and if it is to hot I would add ice cubes....well hope I could help..

I would not suggest adding ice cubes to the tank as this typically is not sufficient to control the temperature for more than a little while and the rapid ups and down can significantly stress the newts. This is why people use larger plastic bottles with ice in them as this allows for a longer slower cooling of the tank and keeps the temperatures more stable.

If the tank is cycled, and the water changes have been kept up, unless a large number of tadpoles has been dumped in the tank, the tank should readily deal with the waste produced by the tadpoles.

I would suggest checking the temperature, and that the bacteria that break convert the waste to nitrate hasn't been disrupted.

Ed

I had tried putting a bottle of frozen water in but it didn't make any difference, i only added tadpole before as a snack for them, they loved them,
I cleaned the tank out about 2 weeks ago and had cleaned it a month before that, well nt cleaned but did a water change, i don't use a pump so half water changes are fairly regular about every month

With the water bottle technique, you need to have several bottles and rotate them (as one melts, replace it with another one and refreeze the first one) and it can take several rotations before the temperature comes down.

I would also suggest getting your water quality checked as a total tank cleaning is probably causing your tank to recycle.

Ed

What about adding a bottle of cold spring water or replacing some of the water with cold spring water? I'm not suggesting this I'm asking the newt experts, but if they say it's good then sure take my suggestion : )

This has the same drawbacks as the ice, you increase the water volume while only cooling it a little bit so you have to keep removing water and adding water. Its just better to use the plastic bottles of frozen water (or better yet use a basement or a airconditioned room).

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back