Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plethodon cinereus

M

meghan

2 questions about Plethodon cinereus:
I need more information on the "lead Phase". When does that stage occur in development..after the red backed stage?
I searched here and found one picture of the eggs. I'm assuming, according to the picture, water was added for moisture. In a normal wild setting, are the eggs rather dry in appearance and in small piles? Are they solid colored as opposed to clear sacs?
I was out on family wooded property and found pile after pile of these little white-ish eggs under logs, leaves, etc. Didn't want to take any if they turned out to be insect eggs but they weren't sticky or in any kind of sticky muck.
Make it three questions, what's the rule on sexing these particular salamanders?

J

jesse

carefull! slug eggs tend to look like salamander eggs sometimes

P

peter

As for sexing, I'm unsure, but I've got a bit of experience with the eggs. Generally, they'll be found with an adult (or more). Without protection, they're eaten by other animals (or salamanders). They're fairly large (about the size of spotted salamander eggs individually) and they're more of a solid coloring. They are somewhat wet, and I believe the adults secrete something to keep them that way.

As for the leadback phase, it's not like n. viridescens and their eft stage, but more like albinism, etc, and the animal will be born like this and mature as such.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what happens.

FlameTorch

Reaction score
Ah! Oh my god I think I have slug eggs... or centipede eggs! when I found them they were like transparent little jelly balls with small white embryos about _ <---that big, and no mom...

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This is a very old thread, please refrain from bumping old posts...specially if it´s not to add anything relevant.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1