The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 29th June 2006   #1
karen

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Is it possible for a newt to have an eye illness? My nvv who has not been doing well lately seems to have an issue with its eyes. When I watch him, his eyelids seem droopy and his eyes are not as bright as they were a few weeks ago. I don't know if I'm grasping for straws, but after a visit to the emergency room and a separate visit to a vet (no real answers turned up, but there is definitely something wrong!) I'm trying to come up with some answers! It's sad, but my poor nets looks like he's aged YEARS in the past few weeks!

Old 29th June 2006   #2
ian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

That is usually referred to as Cloudy eyes. You may search the forum with that and should have you a lot of results.

Cloudy usually come with other illness. it can be a sign of illness and weak. But when a newt near shedding or nutritional problem will have cloudy eyes as well. If it has to do with shedding it seems will have both eyes cloudy.

I have a newt with a cloudy eye on the left before. But after feeding her earthworm, the cloudy eye went away. So that case should have to do with nutrition. I hope your newt will get well soon.

Old 29th June 2006   #3
karen

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Ian,
I wouldn't say his eyes are cloudy, just kind of droopy, like he's about to fall asleep. Plus, if it is a nutritional issue, it's hard to work with that when he refuses to eat. I even took him to a vet who tried to force feed him(which was actually a bit painful to watch!) I try to feed him live food every day but he either ignores it or walks away from it. Thanks for your well-wishes though!

Tags
eye, problems

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 4 (Set)

Crystalann0219, Gradje1, misky99, velasco13000